Cooker socket- multiple spurs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently, I have a socket for my gas cooker that has another socket spurred off it for my under counter fridge. A little like the attached image of mine, but without the dual outlet plate and just spurring straight off the back of the socket under the counter.
I plan on putting some eBay LED light strips under the cupboards in the kitchen, but for logistical reasons - the socket would need to be on the other side of the kitchen ~2m away. Would it be safe for me to spur off the cooker switch in the cupboard for a socket that would sit atop the cupboard further around the room. If so, would it need an FCU. This is all well within tolerance of the size of the breaker, I just get a bit confused with what is and isn't okay on a radial circuit (with a ring, I'd just whack an FCU if I needed an additional spur, but I know it's not a spur when it's a radial circuit).
PXL_20211020_113558569.jpg

Sponsored Links
The 6 m² on a 32 amp overload is OK, as you reduce size to 2.5 mm² you need to have some other overload protection within 3 meters of the change in cable size and before any branch, so using a BS 1363 device does give that protection, be it a socket or a FCU, so likely you can take another branch, the other point is no more than three wires in a terminal as over three one wire may not be gripped well enough to ensure no over heating, and if it does overheat it will likely then become loose, so will make it worse.

My dad would used common sense, but not follow regulations, the problem lay when he had forgotten what he had already done, and the result was spur off spur off spur.

He would not follow the rule only one BS 1363 device on a spur, then latter open up a socket and think he was looking at a ring final as two cables, and he did not seem to understand the concept of inspection and testing.

If he did write down what he had done, I never found it. Seems from what my son has said I have done the same, and forgot when I breached the rule book, and again in early years nothing written down.

Even when written down, as I have done with central heating, I have multi-versions where I have made improvements non dated. So following the rules even if not law is good.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back