lighting circuits and flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying a flat, hopefully, in the next few weeks. It probably needs rewiring and I don't intend to do it my self but I might do some of the donkey work.
Can someone please tell me how a new lighting circuit will be installed? I presume there must be some method other than lifting boards in the flat above as they may have (like I intend to do) have put tiles down in the kitchen and bathroom etc.
Thanks,
Col

Sponsored Links
you can either rip the ceiling down if its bein replaced, and do the wiring from there or you can run cables along the top corners of the walls, chase in wall to switch, make a hole at side running along with joists and use some trunking lid to get cable from light to wall without taking ceiling down, and then put coving in the corners to hide wiring

Thing with flats is that they usually have loads of rockwool insulation to protect against fire, and to insulate for heat and sound. Fishing cables through a floor/ceiling void crammed with this stuff isn't easy - and very often impossible.

Depending on how many wires you need to run, it may be easier to drop the ceiling.

try and keep trunkin lid low and it usually manages to get between ceiling and rockwool

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking forward to what my electrician will have to say when I show him the job.
Col

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back