Wiring in Self Contained Flats

JJP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to rewire my flat which is a self contained flat in a 1930's purpose built block.

A Partial rewire was done by the previous owner. The Power circuit has been done but not the lighting. It is VIR (Yes I do mean VIR(or was it VRI) the old flakey rubber stuff) . The CU's done and as I said the Ring Main/Cooker... The reason the lighting has not been done is that accesss to the upstairs is tricky for a number of reasons.

The Flat had crappy nicotine coated polystyrene Tiles on the Ceiling. I am considering running the wiring from my own flat by basically removing areas of the ceiling, wiring in the void and then either patching the ceiling and having it skimmed or, more likely patching it and recovering the whole thing (old ceiling plus polystyrene) with Plasterboard and having that skimmed.

In principle I see no problem with this (other than the aggravation/mess). On the plus side I also sort out the ceilings. However, has anyone any comments/thoughts/experience on doing it this way ?

JJP

Sponsored Links
seems you have no choice. not too sure about leaving polystyrene tiles there though. but then again.............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back