lighting circuits type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that there are two main lighting circuit methods - junction box and loop systems. Do you use one or the other in a single circuit, or can you use a combination of the two? What is the common practice? For example, if two rooms had down-lighters and two rooms a central ceiling rose could you use a junction box method for the first two rooms, and a loop-in system for the latter two, all on the same circuit? :eek:

Sponsored Links
"common practise" is the loop in, and yes you can "mix n match" so long as the load doesnt exceed the cable / mcb rating

Yes is the answer, although I'm no sparky and unqualified to give advice.

I recently installed a flush ceiling light in my gf's flat having never done such a thing before. Her lighting circuit is loop-in type (as I discovered when I found 4 cables wired into the ceiling rose ), but the light only had terminals for a single cable (why do they do this - surely loop-ins are more common these days?).

I ended up putting a junction box in the roof void and running a single heat resistant flex down to the new light. It all worked fine, once I worked which was the "live" neutral from the switch cable (it wasn't labelled, which was really helpful :mad: )

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back