lighting from a fuse socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of fitting a new kitchen at home and have some cabinet lighting to fit. I was just wondering if I was able to run a lighting switch from a spurred fused plug socket.

I know you shouldn't run a spur from a spur, but these lights are low voltage halogens. There are is no lighting or plug sockets near to where these cabinets are in my kitchen, just a fused plug socket.

any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If I understand you correctly, then there are two ways you could be compliant:

1) Simply wire a plug on to the end of them, and plug them in to the socket
2) Put a 13A unswitched FCU (fused connection unit) in before the socket, that feeds the socket, and another (switched or unswitched, whichever is appropriate) FCU for the lighting, with a 3 or 5A fuse in as appropriate.

Note however that any electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable to your LABC under Part P before carrying out any work (see the wiki for more info)...

I am in the process of fitting a new kitchen at home and have some cabinet lighting to fit. I was just wondering if I was able to run a lighting switch from a spurred fused plug socket.

...and you go on to say

There are is no lighting or plug sockets near to where these cabinets are in my kitchen, just a fused plug socket.

So, are there any sockets or not? You need to clarify your situation in proper terms if we're going to be able to assist you.

(S)FCU = (Switched) Fused Connection Unit, an electrical accessory with fuseholder that will accept a standard plugtop (BS1362) fuse and, sometimes, may also incorporate a neon lamp and/or a switch. This is NOT a socket, and although sometimes incorrectly referred to as such, it is also NOT a spur.

13A socket - Goes without saying

Spur - A single length of cable fed from some point on the ring (either via an existing accessory or a junction box) which can be used to feed a single unfused electrical accessory, such as a 13A single or double socket, or an FCU. You cannot feed more than one item from a spur, nor take a spur from a spur, without adding fused protection.

So, bearing that in mind, if you could give us a bit of a better of picture of what's going on in your kitchen, we'll be on a better position to assist.

There is a plug socket, but this socket is spurred from a ring main socket in another room. This spurred socket is just a normal 3 plug socket with a built in fuse, though it is not an FCU.

Sponsored Links
There is a plug socket, but this socket is spurred from a ring main socket in another room. This spurred socket is just a normal 3 plug socket with a built in fuse, though it is not an FCU.

In that case, Rebuke's advise is correct, as you cannot take a spur from
a spur you will have to fit an FCU with 13A fuse in place of the existing 3 gang (?) socket. On the load side of this FCU you can then fit as many 13A sockets as you like on a radial circuit, plus a switched FCU with 3A fuse for the cabinet lights. It is also notifiable.

As you can see, it would be far neater in terms of the number of accessories if you were to break into the existing ring final or use the lighting circuit.

cheers guys, think I might just stick a plug on the end of the lighting cord. Would this be ok if the lights I am using have a transformer?

cheers guys, think I might just stick a plug on the end of the lighting cord. Would this be ok if the lights I am using have a transformer?

It would be fine for lights with or without a transformer, as long as you fit a suitable fuse (3A) in the plugtop, and install the transformer in a safe manner and in accordace with the manufacturers instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back