Lighting from ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to connect 3 sets of vanity lights around a mirror and the easiest way would be to spur off a ring main socket.

I was planning on putting a 3 or 5 amp switched FCU next to a socket, joining the 2 with 2.5T&E. Then 1.5T&E up to a central back box behind the mirror. Then 3 cables coming in from the lighting units and joining the 4 lives together, the 4 neutrals together, and the 4 earths together with some Wago connectors which would be behind a blanking plate.

The lights are double insulated so don't require an earth to the lights so should the earths just be connected to the metal back box?

Is there anything I'm missing?

Sponsored Links
Sounds OK, but why a FCU? Why not simply add another 13amp socket behind the unit, then plug the lights in? It wouldn't look that cleaver, but I suppose you could take the three flexes into the 12amp plug, if the three are part of the same unit..

Sounds OK, but why a FCU? Why not simply add another 13amp socket behind the unit, then plug the lights in? It wouldn't look that cleaver, but I suppose you could take the three flexes into the 12amp plug, if the three are part of the same unit..

I don't have the depth behind the mirror for a plug unfortunately

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back