New sockets off ring main

Do you disagree that the part of the circuit shown in red here is compliant with BS 7671 (433.1.1), regardless of what is in the 'black box'?
What is your point? A ring with conductors of greater CCC than the rating of the OPD is not a ring subject to any of the restrictions of 433.1.204.

Sponsored Links
What is your point? A ring with conductors of greater CCC than the rating of the OPD is not a ring subject to any of the restrictions of 433.1.204.
Well really that was my question too, aimed at John as he asked the initial quoted question.

I'll ask a similar question .... Do you disagree that the part of the circuit shown in red here is compliant with BS 7671 (433.1.1), regardless of what is in the 'black box'?
I certainly do not disagree. All you have done is turned the red bit into the 'loop' of a a lollipop circuit (with no apparent advantage) - but it remains true that the red bits are totally compliant with BS 7671 (nothing in BS 7671 says that one can't turn a radial into a ring, but adding a 'return path', even if it achieves nothing useful) .

In case it's not clear, I will repeat the very simple point I was making - that a length of Method C 4mm² cable supplying multiple sockets and protected (somewhere) upstream with a 32A MCB is fully compliant with BS 7671 (per 433.1.1), regardless of what, if anything, is between the MCB and the 4mm² cable..

I think we may be back to the importance of electricians having a good understanding of basic electrical principles. If an electrician cannot understand why such a situation is compliant, then I probably wouldn't want him/her anywhere near my electrical installation, no matter what 'qualifications' they had!

Kind Regards, John

I certainly do not disagree. All you have done is turned the red bit into the 'loop' of a a lollipop circuit (with no apparent advantage) - but it remains true that the red bits are totally compliant with BS 7671 (nothing in BS 7671 says that one can't turn a radial into a ring, but adding a 'return path', even if it achieves nothing useful) .

In case it's not clear, I will repeat the very simple point I was making - that a length of Method C 4mm² cable supplying multiple sockets and protected (somewhere) upstream with a 32A MCB is fully compliant with BS 7671 (per 433.1.1), regardless of what, if anything, is between the MCB and the 4mm² cable..

I think we may be back to the importance of electricians having a good understanding of basic electrical principles. If an electrician cannot understand why such a situation is compliant, then I probably wouldn't want him/her anywhere near my electrical installation, no matter what 'qualifications' they had!

Kind Regards, John
So you'd be happy with this arrangement too
1680006663154.png

Yes I totally agree we desperately NEED to get back to our electricians understanding what they are doing and not just blindly following the leader as so many do and it's demonstrated by how many idiots post videos of 'how good I am' on youtube. However that's the situation we have found ourselves in by the way so much emphasis is placed on having to follow the regs by H&S, insurance companies, laws etc. and the lack of apprenticeships.
I was talking to an ex squaddie a few months ago, been given my number for some advice!, he did a 6 day course on de-mob during which he became an electrician, realistically he passed enough exams to be classed as qualified having done negligible practical work but seemed to be very good at reading the book.
Oh yes the advice he was asking for... how to fit a RCBO in a CU.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So you'd be happy with this arrangement too ...
Of course I would (be happy that it was 'compliant', even though totally unnecessary). The bits you have added make absolutely no difference to the fact that my red bits are compliant. In fact, by reducing the current in some of my bits, you have made it 'even more compliant' with the spirit of 433.1.1 !

Kind Regards, John

Ad I presume you'd be happy to continue adding more and more rings as spurs too in all sorts of figure of eight combinations as each part is compliant?
1680009789782.png

let's not stop there:
1680010297399.png

Ad I presume you'd be happy to continue adding more and more rings as spurs too in all sorts of figure of eight combinations as each part is compliant?
Why wouldn't I be happy? None of the bits of cable you're adding detract in any way from the fact that the (red) wiring was 'compliant' without them'.

As I said, if your additional cables do anything, it is to make the entiity "even more compliant with the spirit of 433.1.1",since it reduces the current in some of the 'original' cables.

You seem to be implying that you see some 'problem' with the additions you are proposing - what are those perceived problems?

If one has some fully compliant radial circuit, would you see a problem with (unnecessarily) adding a cable from the final socket back to the CU? If so, again, what would that perceived 'problem' be?

Kind Regards, John

Is there not some rule about one ring (and spurs) with no cross connexions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back