New sockets off ring main

You can. Think about it.

Unfused spur of 2.5mm², yes.

See: Appendix 15B.
So my question is simple:

How do I correct the fault when a rental EICR highlights "Too many sockets on Ring Main spur." and then quotes "A non-fused spur feeds only one single or one twin or multiple socket outlet or one permanently connected equipment."?

Sponsored Links
So my question is simple:

How do I correct the fault
You obviously mean a fault in the EICR - along with all the other inaccuracies.

when a rental EICR highlights "Too many sockets on Ring Main spur." and then quotes "A non-fused spur feeds only one single or one twin or multiple socket outlet or one permanently connected equipment."?
I presume you write a report stating the true situation - along with all the other inaccuracies.

So my question is simple: How do I correct the fault when a rental EICR highlights "Too many sockets on Ring Main spur." and then quotes "A non-fused spur feeds only one single or one twin or multiple socket outlet or one permanently connected equipment."?
As often discussed, one of the (many) apparent problems with the "rental legislation" is that it includes no provision for formally disputing or appealing against an incorrect EICR.

An unfused (Method C) 4mm² spur supplying multiple sockets IS compliant with BS7671 (which is all the legislation requires) - and that remains true no matter what the 'informative guidance' in Appendix 15 might say.

However, as above, how one 'disputes' an EIUCXR which is incorrect in this (or any other) way , I haven't got a clue!

Kind Regards, John

A cross connection can certainly make things worse. For example if the existing load is distributed in a roughtly equal manner then adding an interconnect from a place close to the middle to a place close to one end will shift the load towards said end.
Well, yes, but, as EFLI has realised, I was thinking/talking about (and perhaps should have made this clearer) 'sensible' cross-linkings of a ring, and I can't see (but see below **) why on earth anyone would contemplate doing as you have suggested.

If the cross-links were between 'similar' points on both sides of the ring (which is what one would expect, in practice) then, as I suggested, they can but 'do good'.

[ ** on reflection, I suppose there is one situation in which a designer might conceivably contemplate doing what you have suggested, and in which it would 'improve' the situation - namely if he/she knew that a lot of the load was usually concentrated on one side of the ring. In that situation, adding a cross connection between the middle of the ring and near the origin of the 'more heavily loaded' endof the ring would reduce (or eliminate) the risk of any cable becoming 'overloaded'.

However, as I hope you realise, I was really just trying to make the point that it is not necessarily the case that "figure-of-8" circuits are alays a 'bad thing'. Don't forget that anything to do with 'designing' (attempting to design) a sockets circuit which has multiple sockets relies on guesswork and assumptions on the part of the designer.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As often discussed, one of the (many) apparent problems with the "rental legislation" is that it includes no provision for formally disputing or appealing against an incorrect EICR.

An unfused (Method C) 4mm² spur supplying multiple sockets IS compliant with BS7671 (which is all the legislation requires) - and that remains true no matter what the 'informative guidance' in Appendix 15 might say.

However, as above, how one 'disputes' an EIUCXR which is incorrect in this (or any other) way , I haven't got a clue!

Kind Regards, John
I don't hold a current copy of regs (I did 16th in 2004 and hold only the brown books of the age). I haven't made much of an effort to check it but so far I've seen nothing which allows it, only things appearing to exclude it.

As I've now encountered such as C2 or C3 several times and believe even a C1 (where the 'solution', under instruction, has been to add a 13A fuse or 16A MCB or include it onto the ring) it seems to be an unknown deviation from previous versions.

Appearing in EICR's means something has to be seen to be done to 'correct it'.

Assuming Appendix 15b is as described (I have no dispute on the matter) it seems it has passed many sparks by, either that or they are deliberately ignoring it.

You obviously mean a fault in the EICR - along with all the other inaccuracies.
yes Just realised I misunderstood your comment. No I mean the non compliant installation as listed in the EICR.
I presume you write a report stating the true situation - along with all the other inaccuracies.
My involvement in such matters is as a (sub)contractor and given instructions, usually to add an OCPD or incorporate the spur into the ring.

Writing as report is not usually accepted by many, as a 'fault or error' has been highlighted an expert and a s I understand the rules that has to be corrected and a second experts report only leads to confusion and concern.

Last edited:
and that remains true no matter what the 'informative guidance' in Appendix 15 might say.
Appendix 15A does not show both legs of a ring following the same route out and back.

Does anyone think that is therefore non-compliant?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't hold a current copy of regs (I did 16th in 2004 and hold only the brown books of the age). I haven't made much of an effort to check it but so far I've seen nothing which allows it, only things appearing to exclude it.
What about your knowledge of electrcal principles?

As I've now encountered such as C2 or C3 several times and believe even a C1 (where the 'solution', under instruction, has been to add a 13A fuse or 16A MCB or include it onto the ring) it seems to be an unknown deviation from previous versions.
People need to think for themselves more.

Yes, correct the EICR. Say it is wrong.

Assuming Appendix 15b is as described (I have no dispute on the matter) it seems it has passed many sparks by, either that or they are deliberately ignoring it.
I don't think it has changed. What is in the brown version that you have?

What difference would it make if the circuit were a ring - assuming all the usual caveats of a ring apply?

1679955777464.png

And what about this wire; do you not agree that 1.5mm² would be compliant even though such an example is not shown on the diagram?

1679956230148.png

What about your knowledge of electrcal principles?
Oh yes I understand enough to know if something is OK but EICR's are based around compliance with the regs, especially in the rental environment. However I have also found evidence of an overheated 2.5mm² where a heavy demand was regularly made within ~1m of the CU.
People need to think for themselves more.
I couldn't agree more but unless a reg states something is compliant it gets listed as non compliant, especially in the rental environment.
Yes, correct the EICR. Say it is wrong.
Is it
I don't think it has changed. What is in the brown version that you have?
IIRC it states something like; "A non-fused spur feeds only one single or one twin or multiple socket outlet or one permanently connected equipment." (quoted from an email relating to one EICR).
I'll have a look when I get to it. But I've not seen an image similar to the following.
What difference would it make if the circuit were a ring - assuming all the usual caveats of a ring apply?
A big difference, your image actually shows a single outlet, beit a socket or fuse, and 2.5mm² cable. Unless the regs actually state '4mm² unfused spur with multiple outlets' it will always be listed as non compliant by inspectors, the following image at no point shows what you advocate, regardless of whether it's safe..
View attachment 299379

And what about this wire; do you not agree that 1.5mm² would be compliant even though such an example is not shown on the diagram?

View attachment 299380

Last edited:
As I (and others0 have said, nothing in the regulations 'excludes' it. The thing which many people seem to think 'excludes it' is informative guidance in the (not 'normative') in Appendix 15 ...

-
1679965941130.png

As for "nothing which allows it", 433.1.1 very much does 'allow' a Method C 4mm² cable protected by a 32A MCB to supply multiple sockets - and you do not need too look/worry any further than that. The fact that there are two bits of 2.5mm cable (usually of unequal lengths) in parallel between that 4mm² cable and the 32A OPD dopes not alter anything.
Yes, if coded as C2 (or C1) it means that, in the opinion of the person providing the EICR, something has to be seen to be done to 'correct it', since C2 means that, again in the opinion of the person providing the EICR, the person regards it as 'potentially dangerous'. However, BS7671 gives no guidance as to what is, and what is not, 'potentially dangerous' so one 'inspector may give a C2 to something which few, if any, other electricians would. It is difficult to talk about 'wrong' or 'incorrect', since it is a matter of personal opinion/judgement (which, in my opinion, it shouldn't be in most cases) but when gets close to that when few, if any, other electricians would have the same opinion.

However, in the case we are discussing, I would suggest that it is just plain wrong (not just a 'difference of opinion') if something which is compliant with BS7671 should be given any code, let alone C2 (or C1).

See the preamble to the Appendices of BS7671 included above. There is nothing unacceptable about 'Ignoring' the guidance given in any of the Appendices, other than Appendix.

Kind Regards, John

A big difference, your image actually shows a single outlet, beit a socket or fuse, and 2.5mm² cable. Unless the regs actually state '4mm² unfused spur with multiple outlets' it will always be listed as non compliant by inspectors, ...
... in which case, as I've said, they describe it as 'no-compliant', then they are plain wrong. I suppose they could personally believe it to be 'potentially dangerous', despite being compliant with BS7671, but I don't think they are expected/'allowed' to 'code something' which is compliant, are they (since the code should reference the relevant reg in BS7671) ?

Do you disagree that the part of the circuit shown in red here is compliant with BS 7671 (433.1.1), regardless of what is in the 'black box'?

1679968719720.png

the following image at no point shows what you advocate, regardless of whether it's safe..
It doesn't need to - it is in a part of the book which does not relate to 'requirements' of BS 7671.

Kind Regards, John

I couldn't agree more but unless a reg states something is compliant it gets listed as non compliant, especially in the rental environment.
That is not actually true.
More often than not regulations merely state how something may be made compliant - NOT stated as non-compliant.

IIRC it states something like; "A non-fused spur feeds only one single or one twin or multiple socket outlet or one permanently connected equipment." (quoted from an email relating to one EICR).
A good example.
However, that wording points to a 2.5mm² unfused spur.
If the wording actually said "A non-fused 2.5mm² spur feeds only one single or..." would you then think it did not apply to a 4mm² spur.

Would you please explain how or why two single sockets on a 2.5mm² unfused spur is electrically "potentially dangerous" ; i.e. has been given a C2 on an EICR. Please only use electrical reasons; not "some idiot in the future might change them to doubles and connect a hadron collider". You might also give reasons why the unfused 4mm² spur with several sockets is also "potentially dangerous" having been given a C2.

Also - if it had NOT been given a C2, would it then be satisfactory in your view?

1680002785807.png

Nothing about permanently connected equipment.

Another point is:

An unfused spur may be connected to the origin of the circuit. What if the EICR "inspector" didn't know this and gave it a C2?

As the MCB in question is 32A then would you not agree that 4mm² would be better than 2.5mm² even though you think 2.5mm² is all that is allowed.

View attachment 299413
Nothing about permanently connected equipment.
I have nothing here available to refer to but i'm believing I remember something like that from the course I did.
Another point is:
An unfused spur may be connected to the origin of the circuit.
indeed and another topic that rears it's head on here from time to time with various replies
What if the EICR "inspector" didn't know this and gave it a C2?
Judging by the incorrect replies on here when the subject is raised it seems there are many who don't know that it's permissible and even listed in regs
As the MCB in question is 32A then would you not agree that 4mm² would be better than 2.5mm² even though you think 2.5mm² is all that is allowed.
I certainly don't think that only one size of cable is allowed, one ring rewire I worked on many years back was specified by the insurance company as 6mm² to reduce the fire risk in a thatched property and another job the ring was calculated at 6mm² for VD reasons.

Last edited:
... in which case, as I've said, they describe it as 'no-compliant', then they are plain wrong. I suppose they could personally believe it to be 'potentially dangerous', despite being compliant with BS7671, but I don't think they are expected/'allowed' to 'code something' which is compliant, are they (since the code should reference the relevant reg in BS7671) ?

Do you disagree that the part of the circuit shown in red here is compliant with BS 7671 (433.1.1), regardless of what is in the 'black box'?

View attachment 299384

It doesn't need to - it is in a part of the book which does not relate to 'requirements' of BS 7671.

Kind Regards, John

I'll ask a similar question
1680005688238.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back