Lighting, multi spot lights, One switch. Little advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Could something clear this up for me. It might sound like a silly question but I just want to make sure ive got it right.

Im just getting my head round the lighting circuits and wiring multiple lights from one switch.

This applies to my bedroom.

I want to run around 6 spot lights around the room all to turn on from one light swtich.

Am I correct in thinking I would install one junction box in the bedroom with the out cable going into the next room.

The switch wire down the wall to the light switch.

and then the "light cable" to the spot light.

This is the bit i need clearing up.

Do I then run the next spot light from

A. The back of the first spot light.

or

B. The Junction box (same terminals as the "light cable") and have every spot light coming from this first junction box?

Theres no need for multiple junction boxes around the room

Sponsored Links
Which ever method you find easier is fine. It can be quite tricky to get all the wires into one central jb so a small joint at each light may be easier.

Remember that all joints must remain accessible for future maintenance and testing.

Sponsored Links
I want to run around 6 spot lights around the room all to turn on from one light swtich.

Am I correct in thinking I would install one junction box in the bedroom with the out cable going into the next room.

The switch wire down the wall to the light switch.

and then the "light cable" to the spot light.

There are a few methods of wiring lighting circuits some are prefered over other, some more practical then others depending on the circumstances.
I try to avoid junction boxes if at all possible, but it is not always so.
If junctions or joints are made, they require to be accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing, or a maintenance free method of jointing must be used.

This is the bit i need clearing up.

Do I then run the next spot light from

A. The back of the first spot light.

or

B. The Junction box (same terminals as the "light cable") and have every spot light coming from this first junction box?
As stated above there are differing methods, some more suitable than others depending of circumstances.
With downlights my prefered method is to bring the live, neutral and CPC (earth) to the switch, then daisy chain the conductors across each lamp.
This is not always achievable or practical when retrofitting and there is not always room to fit six conductors in the terminals of the light fitting, so you then need to improvise with accessible or maintenance free joints/junctions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back