Lighting Tower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just purchased a lighting tower second hand at an auction and was thinking of doing some testing on it with my new diy multimeter. so just thought I would pop this question in case I fry myself.
Their is no 240 supply of the machine just 110V so I want to see if the lights are powered by 240 v or 110v.
Is it just a matter of turning the dial to dc and connecting across a live and a neutral .
Hope someone can help. Dont want to blow up my multimeter either.
Im a building site labourer by the way (Honest) so I hope you guys dont blind me with science.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
depends what you mean by a lighting tower.

i would also suggest you read the instrcutions for your meter too

but since he doesnt realise that i am curious as to what he does know, hence RTFM

Sponsored Links
Does the tower have a 3 pin yellow plug top on it then it should be 110V.You can double check this by looking at the voltage on the lamps.If they are halogens then don't touch the lamp glass with bare hands.(If you accidently do then wipe with a rag and some white spirit)
You will need a transformer to run this light from the mains unless you can plug into a site 110V supply

Is this a thing with its own generator, or do you plug it into a power supply? If it has plugs hanging off it you should be able to tell the voltage from the colour.

If it has lamps on it I would expect them to be 110v.

Thanks for the replies thus far.
Yes ,its a mobile lighting tower-generator.
It has 2 outlets for 110v to power site tools etc. A changer over switch from these sockets to the 4 large halogen lights.
I havent investigated what bulbs are fitted yet but the plates on the light cover does state 1500W-240V.
The leads to lights is a large coiled flex branching out to four sockets which look like 110V sockets.
Have looked breifly at the instructions for the multimeter. Have always known the little wavy line is alternating current and have played around with this on 240V and have used the setting for telling if a wire is continous or not by listening to the bleeping.
It has not started yet as the wiring to the starter seems to be faulty. I shall work on this first as it is safe and the possibility of frying myself shall be slim. :D

Sider said:
I havent investigated what bulbs are fitted yet but the plates on the light cover does state 1500W-240V.

This is probably just the maximum wattage/voltage allowable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back