My Fish are not happy :(

G

Grot

I'm trying to rig up a fancy switch for my fish tank lights ........

Basically I want the lights to comer on at dusk & off @ 10PM
I have a plug in digital timer & one of these

rc.jpg

Thing is I need a PFC (Err whatever one of those is) in the circuit as at the moment come switch on time, the photocell Rattles (Relay chatter? I dunno) everything flashes like a disco for a sec then the lights come on like they should.......

As far as lighting goes ..... I have a 11W fluro tube 240v & a 15 Watt filament bulb @ 110v obviously thro a transformer.

So chaps what do I ask for round @ Electrics R Us as far as a PFC device goes ?

ok ....... Why the 110v lights? ........ Cos I got the thing from the states & its plenty pretty but it has moulded fancy candelabra type bulb holders, which can't be easily replaced..... Its a damn site easier just to buy a 240/110v trans & fooey to it.....

Fish ? Discus (They's fussy things, don't like vibration, flashing lights, fluctuating temperatures) so they have there own UPS & everything.....

Sponsored Links
It's a capacitor, and PFC stands for Power Factor Corrector (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Factor_Correction ).

Not sure the lack of one is related to your problem.

Why does your diagram only show the fluorescent?

Are you sure that the photo switch and time switch are suitable for fluorescents, and reactive loads like the transformer?

Everything was hunky dory for 18 months with the timer .... Then I added the photocell & everything went Boobies North (I got sick of having to change the 'on time' as the seasons passed ya see)

The Dwg is off of the packaging for the photocell

The photocell and lamps are some distance from each other, right? Otherwise, if there is no hysteresis built in, you're going to get chatter as the photocell tries to switch off again when the ambient light level changes as the lamps power up.

Sponsored Links
I have seen similar before - it is caused by when the photocell is powered up, it switches on a short duration.
Thinking how I overcame it last time for some (private) street lights which needed to come on when it got dark and go off at 1am, I used the timer to feed the photocell, the output of the photocell to a contactor via a 1min delay on timer. The lighting was all then fed from the contactor.
If your loads are light enough you may omit the contactor and drive the lights direct - you'd have to check the rating of the timers etc. The timer I used clicky is only really suitable for running a contactor.

Thats the odd thing, when the timer turns on, everything lights up for 10 seconds & then goes off.....If you cover the photocell as per the test instructions with the box it came in ...... Everything works fine .... It just goes click (After 10 secs of covering) & everything illuminates, no flashing extra clicking or anything.
It appears only to be when left to its own devices & the light levels are fading things go boss eyed ...... Which is very odd.

I shall try disconnecting the transformer & see if that makes a difference to proceedings

The photocell can't see the lighting it is controlling

Is the photocell a 110V or 230V version? Is it installed before or after the 230 -> 110V transformer?

the circuit goes, plug in timer, photocell, double trailing socket , 1 plug to ballast & 11w tube & a plug in 240>110v transformer then 7w+4w filament bulbs.

42266688.jpg

http://cpc.farnell.com/PW00942/batteries-power-supplies/product.us0?sku=unbranded-mw2p-045

I disconnected the Transformer tonight before dusk & when it came to switching time the photocell still rattled

Will try a 240v filament style bulb tomorrow without the 110v Transformer too just to prove the operation of the photocell :confused:

pc.jpg

http://www.ced-elec.co.uk/catalogue/category/default.asp?sid=13&section=&dpid=35&cid=104

11W Tube
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electric...ighting/11W-Fluorescent-bulb/72202/kw/23-4997

Ballast ........ Umm will have to do some research

Filament Bulbs
http://www.topbulb.com/find/prod_list.asp_Q_intSubCategory_E_682

Thats how I would imagine it should work, apart from the cell being compattible with a transformer load, have you tried it without the UPS? Some UPSs cause problems with certain equipment and I had a relay chattering running on a big UPS system. Failing that, Im out of suggestions :)

Well that kind of isn't really a go-er...... Yeah I could try it, however should the system work without the UPS wouldn't solve my problems, it would just mean £500 worth of UPS isn't doing what it was bought for.

Back to my original post, how is the size of snubber calculated ? or what size does anyone suggest I try...... Theres loads to choose from
but ....... Umm I have no idea which one would be appropriate

Or should I just lob a contacter on & pray..... ?

dont suppose the photocell is malfunctioning?

try an ordainairy lamp instead of the one with the transformer.
There are millions of photocells out there switching lights, what about a different photocell, or are you sure its wired as per the drawing, i was wondering what would happen if Li and Lo were the wrong way round

The instruction sheet sez: the light flashes if li & lo are reversed

Doesn't anyone know bout snubber sizing :(

with a regular bulb if you reverse Li & Lo the bulb clicks on & off like the indicator in ya car .......... Correctly wired it don't ...... Just tried it

:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back