Intermittent Tripping

I would check it out as a matter of urgency, with all power off
Other then when the water results in an RCD tripping, there is no reason why the presence of water should make a socket 'dead'. As has been said, this matter really should be investigated as a matter of some urgency.

Kind Regards, John
Why would a " dead socket" require urgent attention ?

Sponsored Links
Why would a " dead socket" require urgent attention ?
Because one does not know why it's dead (as I've said, water, per se, could not be the explanation). If there is a loose conductor flapping around somewhere, damage to the cable or anything like that, it could have unfortunate consequences.

Kind Regards, John

Why would a " dead socket" require urgent attention

Suppose the Neutral conductor had fallen out of the terminal in the socket. The socket would appear to be dead as any lamps or appliances that were plugged into the socker would not work.

So it is dead. NO IT IS NOT DEAD.... In fact the absence of a Neutral means the lamps and appliances are LIVE even though they do not work ands present more of a hazard than if they were working..

Suppose the Neutral conductor had fallen out of the terminal in the socket. The socket would appear to be dead as any lamps or appliances that were plugged into the socker would not work.

So it is dead. NO IT IS NOT DEAD.... In fact the absence of a Neutral means the lamps and appliances are LIVE even though they do not work ands present more of a hazard than if they were working..

What if I plug the Dyson VACUUM in somewhere else, and just put a blanking plate over the socket - then nothing will ever get plugged into it?

Sponsored Links
Without question it needs investigation. Given the information in the previous posts by the OP ,who already expressed his anxiety ,and lack of knowledge ,of electrics ,and felt he had to leave work early yesterday because of RCD tripping, advising him that his latest discovery needs URGENT attention is a tad over the top.
OP .. Do not plug anything into that socket as it could well be live and not dead as you think. And by all means have it investigated .

Without question it needs investigation. Given the information in the previous posts by the OP ,who already expressed his anxiety ,and lack of knowledge ,of electrics ,and felt he had to leave work early yesterday because of RCD tripping, advising him that his latest discovery needs URGENT attention is a tad over the top.
OP .. Do not plug anything into that socket as it could well be live and not dead as you think. And by all means have it investigated .

Thank you.

I have just spoken to an electrician who is quite sure that the water coming in would have been the problem, and the water will have knackered the socket - hence it not working. He said not to use the socket for a few days to let it dry out (and see whether it trips again), then either I can have a go at replacing the socket myself or he'll come and do it. Or he'll come and tie up the wires with a connector block and put a blanking plate on it.

What if I plug the Dyson VACUUM in somewhere else,
It is a vacuum cleaner.
The make is irrelevant - other than to indicate you have been ripped off.

and just put a blanking plate over the socket - then nothing will ever get plugged into it?
I presume you mean put a blank plate on top of the socket.
Heaven forbid you actually remove the socket and do things properly.

Why don't you learn how things work? It really is quite interesting.

Or - just get an electrician.

Edit - I now see you might 'have a go' - brilliant.

Marc ,with all due respect ,you don't even know if it has had any water ingress at the socket. Has anything tripped on cu today ?

I have just spoken to an electrician who is quite sure that the water coming in would have been the problem ...
Water ingress (if there was any) is certainly a common cause of RCD tripping, but ...
... and the water will have knackered the socket - hence it not working.
That is rather unlikely, particularly if the water ingress was recent/short term. It could have resulted in some damage to the socket such that it would be advisable to replace it, but it's pretty unlikely that water, in itself, would make a socket become 'dead'.

Kind Regards, John

Water ingress (if there was any) is certainly a common cause of RCD tripping, but ...
That is rather unlikely, particularly if the water ingress was recent/short term. It could have resulted in some damage to the socket such that it would be advisable to replace it, but it's pretty unlikely that water, in itself, would make a socket become 'dead'.

Kind Regards, John
I agree John ,and have just asked if any thing tripped on the cu.

I agree John ,and have just asked if any thing tripped on the cu.

I'm at work today, but will be leaving shortly so will know in the next hour or so.

I could do with something which I can plug in at home and connect my phone to it - and then I can try and connect to it using my phone at various times through the day, and if it doesn't work, it means the power is off. Something like a Smart Plug, or a Hive or something!

Last edited:
Thank you.

I have just spoken to an electrician who is quite sure that the water coming in would have been the problem, and the water will have knackered the socket - hence it not working. He said not to use the socket for a few days to let it dry out (and see whether it trips again), then either I can have a go at replacing the socket myself or he'll come and do it. Or he'll come and tie up the wires with a connector block and put a blanking plate on it.

The water could well be the cause, but it is not certain - there might still be some other cause of the tripping.

I would doubt the water could make the socket go 'dead', apart from when the RCD tripped. It is not uncommon for electrics to continue to work, despite not being in anyway designed for submersion, even deep under water. Several years ago a bank I attended was functioning absolutely fine, everything normal. No problems reported, until I tried to take a look in the basement. The incoming mains, 3ph meter, and a large dis-board were all six feet under water. It took several days to pumps all that water out, during which time the bank remained fully open. It then took several more weeks for all of the damaged MCB's/meters and etc. to be replaced.

The water could well be the cause, but it is not certain - there might still be some other cause of the tripping.
I
I would doubt the water could make the socket go 'dead', apart from when the RCD tripped. It is not uncommon for electrics to continue to work, despite not being in anyway designed for submersion, even deep under water. Several years ago a bank I attended was functioning absolutely fine, everything normal. No problems reported, until I tried to take a look in the basement. The incoming mains, 3ph meter, and a large dis-board were all six feet under water. It took several days to pumps all that water out, during which time the bank remained fully open. It then took several more weeks for all of the damaged MCB's/meters and etc. to be replaced.

Did you have to pay for the damage you caused when you flooded the basement Harry ?:D:D

Girlfriend just got home - everything still on.
Tell her not to plug anything into the socket ,if you haven't already.
Did you notice last night if the switch on the " dead" socket ,felt stiff or loose in operation ( assuming it has a switch)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back