New house electric keeps tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone and thank you in advance for any advice.

I have recently purchased a new house. For a few weeks now the trip switch on the consumer unit has been tripping. The other day the switch tripped but refused to turn back up, just kept flipping back down. I unplugged everything and turned everything off. After several hours I tried again and the switch stayed up. After this episode we noticed a plug socket in the kitchen no longer working, this socket had our fridge plugged into it.
We've yet to get this socket checked out, and since then the switch has been tripping more regular usually when the washing machine, dishwasher and boiler is running for a shower.

Has our fridge broken the socket?
Is it the socket tripping the switch?
Is it us using too many appliances as the tv etc are usually on aswell??

Sponsored Links
No way of telling from here, I'm afraid.

To narrow it down, is it an RCD/RCCB/RCBO which will have a test button OR an MCB that is tripping?

Pictures are good.

Anything particular happen before it trips?

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

It's the RCD I believe it's next to the main switch with the test button above. Nothing in particular except its at times when there are a lot of appliances going??

All I really would like to know is if my fridge could damage the socket?

Thankd

Unlikely, but no one here is going to put their cock on the block without actually having a look.

It's a new house, so it's all under warranty, so get the builder to send the electrician round.

Sponsored Links
I would personally suggest that you isolate the circuit that the socket is on, you will require to test that the cables are dead, using an approved voltage indicator, prior to touching anything inside the socket. But once you have proved it is dead, you can check within socket backbox for loose, disconnected or damaged cables. It could also be the socket plate that is faulty.
But that is where I would start, you may get lucky. But it could be a whole host of reason, why the RCD is tripping.

The op stated it's under warranty :D

Go and crawl back in your hole. The OP did NOT say that. The warranty word was posted by slippyr4.

That's why I asked the question about if it were a brand spanking new house before some idiot (you) went off down the wrong track.

So, a trip to Specsavers for you, and an apology to me, please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back