Tripping electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help. My electrics keep tripping. Some times it's just the socket mcb switch that trips and other times it's the rcd. We have tried unplugging and plugging everything in but nothing trips it straight away. Electrician came out today and said we need to narrow it down to which appliance is tripping it. Thinks it might be boiler. Switched it off at the wall it has a fused spur but electrics still tripped after a while with it turned off. Any ideas I'm at the end of my tether!

Sponsored Links
Fridges & freezers are always prime suspects. Trouble is, you can't really unplug them for extended periods of time.

Do you have more than one RCD/more than one socket circuit you could try plugging suspect appliances into.

If it's not instantaneous then it's likely to be something like a fridge or a boiler that has different components being called upon at different times.

We have two mcbs for sockets one for front of house and one for back. It's the back that trips. I have plugged fridge into front and it didn't trip. I have turned my boiler off at the wall. Do I need to take fuse out as well. Boiler is on a timer and electric trips when it is not on.

An MCB tripping indicates a short circuit.

If it was the socket circuit then it could be a worn flex.

Sponsored Links
It's tripping when nothing plugged in sometimes. How do you diagnose a short circuit

With proper test equipment really. Did the electrician do any tests at all or did he just shrug and say you need to work out what appliance it is?

To be fair the electrician came out as a favour and didn't charge anything but he didn't do anything at all. How do I completely turn boiler/pump off?

If it's a fairly modern fused spur, chances are by turning it off you have, as most spurs are Double Pole, which means it will disconnect the neutral and the live.

Which happens more frequently, the MCB or the RCD?

The boiler is around 15 years old. It started off as the mcb but the last few times it's been the rcd

It's just tripped again. The mcb was down and also the rcd. I have turned boiler off by fused spur.

That should isolate the boiler.

If it is an appliance then we can only advise you to disconnect one or more and see what happens.

Sometimes these faults turn out to be a squashed cable under the floorboards and it trips when you step on it.

They are difficult to find.

Short circuit is a fault between Line(live) and Neutral which will trip the MCB.
Earth fault is a fault between Line and Earth which will trip either or both MCB and RCD - depending on the resistance between the two - or Neutral and Earth which will just trip the RCD.

If not a cable then items with motors or heating elements are the prime suspects.

Hi, you really need to get the electrician with test equipment. If it's a short in wiring it could cause a fire if repeatedly switched back on.
Have you had any work done in the area effected ? Do you have any outdoor sockets or wiring to an out building ?

Regards,

DS

Ok so boiler been off all night with no trips but it's just tripped now. Only thing plugged in was fridge but I have tested this by plugging it into different circuit with no problems. Think I will have to get electrician but after bank holiday. We have a garage but nothing is plugged in and this on a different circuit So frustrating!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back