Tripping electrics

Sponsored Links
I just made it up.

A fault which is always there (permanent) but sometimes does not show itself.

Sometimes it trips the RCD (high impedance L-E) and other times it trips the MCB (dead short L-N).

Could be explained by a worn flex which moves, although, I think, OP has said all flexes disconnected and still trips or cable underfoot.
In a socket a bit more difficult to engineer - loose parts and slug.

I just made it up.
I know - that's why I said I would benefit from a translation!
A fault which is always there (permanent) but sometimes does not show itself. Sometimes it trips the RCD (high impedance L-E) and other times it trips the MCB (dead short L-N).
Fair enough. The L-E fault when it arose would obviously not necessarily have to be 'high impedance' - I suppose it could be something flapping about connected to L which sometimes touched L and other times touched E!

Kind Regard, John

He said he couldn't tell exactly what the fault was. He gave me the option of putting trunking in from other socket in conservatory, going under window sill or disconnecting the socket. I decided just to disconnect it. It has not tripped for almost 36 hours so hopefully sorted. I am quite worried now that he has done something wrong. Please advise?

Sponsored Links
Ah, that would indicate the fault was in the cable between the sockets - not the socket itself.

So, if correct and it is now disconnected, all should be well.

If this is, or was, a ring circuit he should have reduced the rating of the MCB.

IF that is what has happened.

I would hope this was the only thing which drew attention, because it beeped, and that other boxes were present.

I wondered, too - but I suspected that it was a reference to "other boxes being ticked" - but maybe I was totally wrong!

I also suspected that there was a "not" missing at the start of the sentence (i.e. " ... not the only thing ...") - but, again, I may be wrong!

Kind Regards, John

All I know is that he had all of the sockets off looking for slugs and using his beeping machine on each one. He took the wires out of the mcb and tested that. He was there for 3 hours and I have had no trips since.

Yep, that would be the result of employing a competent fault finding electrician. Hang on to his number, they are becoming quite rare.

DS

Yep, that would be the result of employing a competent fault finding electrician. Hang on to his number, they are becoming quite rare.
Does that mean that you are not "Still Worried" about this electrician?

Kind Regards, John

Yes DS I am confused from your posts I gathered u didn't think the electrician had done a good job?

Well, he also used a bleeping box and disconnected the wiring at the mcb, initially you gave the impression he had just used a voltage tester. At that point i was worried.

However, i can assure you, i am not worried, as i don't live in your house.:LOL:

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back