Can light switch for kitchen be in hallway outside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Re-jigging kitchen and decided best place to put fridge freezer in the corner as you walk through the door on the left. However the light switch is also there on the left and so means I would have to leave enough space so it can be switched on. Which would waste space in an already small kitchen.

Wondering if possible to flip the switch into the hallway? So it will be the opposite side for where it is now. Simple knock through and have it switched on from outside the kitchen.

Anything against regs doing this?

Sponsored Links
or you can have a ceiling pull cord if you want

there is also a thing called an "architrave switch" which is very narrow.

I have this in my house, probably contravenes the "safe zones" reg but needs must sometimes

Sponsored Links
I have this in my house, probably contravenes the "safe zones" reg but needs must sometimes
If the wall is less than 100mm thick and it is possible to determine the location of the switch from the other side (which it will be if the switch is near a doorway), the prescribed zone will extend to the other side of the wall.

I'd say walls less than 100mm thick are the exception not the rule though. According to google a brick is over 100mm thick before you add any finishing. A stud wall with 75mm studs might just skate under if the plasterboard is thin and there is little to no skim.

Personally I'd suggest leaving a box and blanking plate in the old location, this gives you a place to make the joint and also makes it easy to move the switch back if you later decide to do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back