Convert 110v site lights to 240v?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a set of Defender 110v site lights (10 light string) that I want to convert to 240v. I'm renovating an old bungalow with a huge loft so I want to position the light string so all of the loft is lit (lots of nooks and crannies!). It is just a case of replacing the plug and using 240v bulbs (low energy LEDs). The cable is 16amp yellow twin but it's not earthed.

Thanks Gents.......

Sponsored Links
There is a tiny possibility that the lampholders are not rated for 240V, but that is exceptionally unlikely.
So yes, it's a case of using 240V lamps and fitting a different plug on the end.

Do the lampholders have any accessible metal parts? Do they have the Class II symbol?
Might be easier just to pick up a site transformer.

Thanks for that, I was going to run it as 110v with a transformer but I was given a big box of E27 240v LEDs so it a cheap conversion....cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Stillp, they are all plastic construction with a rubber sleeve that rolls up over the base of the bulb...each has the class 11 symbol and is IP44 rated, cheers

E27 240v LEDs

Check the spec of the bulbs, they may well say that they can take something like 90 to 250 volts AC anyway, you won't need to change anything and can keep the 110 plug on the end then.

Gaz :)

Definitely use 110V if you can. It's so much safer in a construction environment.

Gents, thanks for advice and help...the lights are converted to 240v low energy and are strung around every corner of the loft (read man cave). Loft hatch and ladder fitted today so looking good....the Missus has refused to go up there because of the hand sized spiders I saw scurrying about ;) Cheers.......

the Missus has refused to go up there because of the hand sized spiders I saw scurrying about
You could always be a gentleman and offer to stand and hold the ladder steady if she's wearing a short skirt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back