Lighting Wire and Loft Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just run a cable for some lighting through the loft and I want to double check that what I have done is safe if perhaps not ideal. A short run of the cable (about 3 meters) will, when I come to insulate the loft, be at the bottom of the insulation.

The cable is 1.5mm, clipped to a joist close < 2cm from the ceiling and will be feeding lights in three bedrooms (we will be using energy saving bulbs so the load will be very low but obviously I'm planning for the next owners as well).

I was nervous about installing cables like this but there wasn't much choice. I believe what I have follows reference method 6 since the wires aren't completely surrounded by insulation. Numerous posts on this forum also say that lighting circuits are generally acceptable installed like this. Better to be safe than sorry though eh?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back