Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changing a bulb in an outside security light and getting a shock when the bulb explodes because i was handed a 110v bulb instead of 250v bulb.
all you saw was a big blue flash and glass all over the place!!

Worse part was walking back down ladder shaking like a leaf.

:D

Sponsored Links
To be honest i never used to turn the power off for such a simple job but now i always do.

I learnt my lesson the hard way though! :confused:

Sponsored Links
My father said its a good job i had one hand still on the ladder so i didnt fall back!

I've had a light bulb break as I was removing it, a long time ago, 'when I were a lad'. Fortunately power was off.

No real damage, just the gasps from the typists, as I was walking back through the typing pool with blood running down my arm and dripping off my elbow.

I have put in standard household bulbs before while live, but I would never do it with a flood light bulb!

Ive changed 4 or 5 floodlight bulbs with no problems normally just as it was wrong voltage.

red H

what sort of light bulb was it ??

Just an ordinary 240V BC lamp. I can't remember the wattage now, it was a long time ago and I never bothered looking at the manufacturer's name.
It wasn't uppermost in my mind at the time! :eek:

It's a bit basic — switch off before removing the plug or replacing a bulb. And for 2-way lights, make sure that the lights go off when both switches are off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back