Lights Blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new kitchen last year and the lights are now Halogen downlights. Whenever a bulb goes the all the lights in the house go out, which is apparently down to some kind of surge. The main fuse box is the old type which requires the wire replacing etc. and obviously all the lights are on the same circuit.

The fuse/wire is 5 amp and what I want to know is their any wayI can prevent the fusewire blowing when a bulb goes. I assume I can't just increase the fuse wire to 15amp as this would overload the circuit.

I also assume that whoever did my kitchen should have put the lighting on a seperate circuit.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
This won't help much, but if you happen to have a Wylex "Standard" fusebox, Wylex make MCBs that fit into the existing carriers for the fuseholders. Thet are about £7.50 at Screwfix and frequently available on fleabay.

This won't stop your surges tripping the lights, but at least it will be a lot quicker to fix (just press a button or flick a switch).

Cheers Fellas, especially JohnD, just had a look at the MCB's and that will be ideal for now. They only go off when a bulb goes, which isn't too often, and other than a complete rewire, which isn't an option at the moment that will save a lot of fiddling around.

Sponsored Links
That's great! I love a happy ending ;) I've got kitchen spots myself, and a Wylex Standard, so I know how you feel.

BTW we hate rewirable fuses, you never know when someone will be tempted to put the wrong size of wire in. Change them all if you can afford it. You often see second-hand ones on ebay by the set. They're very easy to fit (turn off the main switch first!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back