wierd fuse problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we keep having to replace light bulbs in our kitchen.
they are three light pendants mains voltage halogen and there are two of them.
a bulb goes about once a week and the fuse in the consumer unit trips.
it goes back ok and works normally again for a while until a bulb goes again and the fuse goes again.
none of the other lights in the same circuit have a problem and the problem occurs even when the kitchen lights are the only lights in use and would not necessarily go when all the lights in the circuit are in use.
So: it doesn't sound like overloading does it?
It doesn't sound like faulty wiring either as it is not one fitting but two that have this problem.
Can anyone help? :(

Sponsored Links
Lamps often cause the protective device to trip when they blow, and more so it seems with a 5A Type 1 MCB.

What device is protecting the circuit? What type of fuse or mcb is it?

Could try changing the lamps for a different brand......

Are you on a back hander from the RCD manufacturers & Osram

i think it is a case of cheap lamp, as previously mentioned the protective device is doing its job, (so thats ok) but to go as often and work fine implies quality of lamp or any "knocks" it may get, is the fitting itself secure? how long have you had this problem? have you chnged brand / supplier of lamp

Sponsored Links
I did think it might be the lamps - the original came with it; the next lot came from Wickes but the last lot are General Electric - the result is the same.

The lights are fitted close to the ceiling and do not move and don't get any knocks. I suppose it is possible the wiring in both is faulty but my connections are sound.

I did wonder if heat build up in the lamps could make them blow and then trip the switch but on the other hand it happens when they've been off all night and are first switched on as well.

What is an MCB? What type should I have?

Any input gratefully received?

Poster if you are asking what an mcb is I guess you have rewireable fuses??

MCB is miniature circuit breaker (trip switch)

Il - sorry don't get any comission from Osram or RCD mfrs!

Breezer - are u joining forces with me in a crusade to rid this fine land of c**p lamps??

Hi

have you checked all the connections are sound? sounds like to me you have a bad connection somewhere..... :(

let us know how you get on....

Good luck

Ed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back