Replacing halogen bulbs with LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a halogen 3 bulb kitchen light that never seems to last that long before a bulb goes with a bang and the fuse wire in the fuse box needing replacing. I have been told to go for an LED system which will save power and won't blow the fuse from time to time.

Can I replace the halogen bulbs with LED or will I have to get a whole new light fitting ?

Sponsored Links
I have a halogen 3 bulb kitchen light that never seems to last that long before a bulb goes with a bang and the fuse wire in the fuse box needing replacing. I have been told to go for an LED system which will save power and won't blow the fuse from time to time.

Can I replace the halogen bulbs with LED or will I have to get a whole new light fitting ?
Yes, though beware that some GU10 type LED's are slightly longer than the standard GU10 halogen.
I had a similar light in the kitchen fitted with 4 *50w halogens and replaced the with 4 * 4w flood LED's - 16w against 200w - no real contest.
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights...umens-45-watts-equiv-best-internet-price.html

If you have 230v (low voltage) bulbs in the main LED will fit as a direct replacement but with 12v (extra low voltage) often the "transformer" also needs changing. If the so called transformer is really a transformer then likely you can just swap bulbs but many are in fact switch mode power supplies and the minimum rating is too high to use LED.

However a single LED bulb to replace a 60W or there abouts bulb is expensive where as using LED bulbs around the 3W mark they are reasonably cheap so it still may be better to swap the fitting so more bulbs can be used.

The spot light units are also a problem as most cheap bulbs don't give the angle and swapping from 60 degrees to 30 degrees will depend on what they are aimed at as to light output.

Hi, GU10 mains halogen can be easily replaced with LED GU10
lamps, Philips lamps are not cheap but are available in 6w which i would recommend.

Regards,

NA

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. It was bought from Ikea I think. Makes sense to run a lower watt bulb. I will have to have a look at the bulb and see what kind it is.

Defiantly worth switching to LED lighting they are more economical and you will save more money on your energy bill! This is great as it means you can put extra money you have saved into other things!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back