Lights Flashing With Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently installed a 3 gang MEM dimmer switch rated at 60W - 250W in a customers house. The customer bought the dimmer switch from B&Q. Its rated 60-250W for each gang of the switch. When I first fitted it sometimes the 60W wall lights would flicker on and off then eventually stop flickering. I told the customer it was a faulty dimmer and he went and exchanged it on a like for like basis. Today I went back and fitted the new dimmer and exactly the same thing happened (60W lamps flashing) Im wondering if anyone has come across this before? Im also wondering if I should fit a new 3 gang dimmer switch rated at 40W-250W?

Thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I installed the whole lot from new i.e wall lights, switches etc.... Im actually an NIC Approved contractor but have never known dimmers to flicker like this. As I said in my last post its a 60-250W dimmer with 60W lamps on and was wondering if anyone has ever come across this before I go and buy 40-250W replacement units.

thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links
I actually cooked one good quality dimmer switch, then the replacement flickered from time to time (when dimming or when power cycled at the cu) anyway - turned out to be a dodgy neutral in the ceiling rose (not dangerous as such, nor badly wired, just cooked through age and use I guess)

would 100w lamps fit in the lights just to test, as you say it may just be the load may be too low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back