lights flicker and make a clicking noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a ground floor flat and I hear this clicking noise then my ceiling lights will flicker/blink but also if I have a table light plugged in it will flicker too but the rest of the appliances will be fine. can anyone help with the problem it will be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a loose connection on the mains somewhere. (I take it the table lamp is plugged into a socket circuit rather than a 5A lighting circuit)
The voltage fluctuation might be very brief, not enough to affect other appliances, but enough to show as a flicker on the lamps. Where do you suspect the clicking is coming from ? It is probably going to be worth your while seeking the services of a competant electrician if you are concerned as the problem could get worse.
If the table lamp is plugged into a 5A lighting socket then the problem could be at the circuit protective device or light fitting/switch ie loose connection/bad contact.
This could be checked by you if you feel confident/competant to do so, remembering to isolate first.

How frequent is the clicking noise and does it only happen when something like a cooker or fan heater is switched on ?

A "click" at the same time as lamps dim is a sign of an appliance being switched on. The click could be a switch or thermostat operating or a loud speaker reacting to the fluctuation in the mains.

ricicle: Thank you for your comment, I've checked the main tails from the mains and the fuse board to see if there's a loose connection causing it to arch but all seem fine I also checked the lives and neutrals in the fuse board and there all tight. The table light is plugged in to a 30amp ring-main and when you say "The voltage fluctuation might be very brief, not enough to affect other appliances" sounds right. The fuse board is one of those re-wirerable wylex boards if that helps?? The clicking sounds like it's coming from the kitchen/bedroom but it's travelling, so its never in the same place.

bernardgreen: The clicking happens randomly not necessarily when the thermostat etc is in operation. The clicking normally happens once then it'll be a while till it happens again but the other night when there was no lights on and the TV ect was on standby I heard the clicking a few time in a row.

Thank you for all your comments.

Sponsored Links
I checked with a friend that my memory was accurate before posting this.

He had a similar experience, it was the people in the flat next door switching a fan heater on using the switch on the 13 amp socket in the party wall. The flat had separate meters but a common supply from the network so the increased load on the supply dipped the voltage to both flats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back