Lights stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen / living room I have a 3 gang switch controlling 3 areas of lights. It's all linked to the same lighting circuit.

On switching one of them on, the lights went off, like they blew. The others stayed on, so it didn't trip the circuit.

Taking the switch off, there is power going into the switch, and the power going out is working correctly with the switch. The lights that are affected, I pulled out of the ceiling, but there is just no power in the cable at all.

The switch and lights are linked via a junction box. I think there is only one junction box between the light switch and the cables at the lights.

They have been fine for over 6 months, and nothing should have disturbed the junction box - if there was a lose wire for example.

Can anyone offer any advice before I take a chunk of ceiling out to get to the junction box?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Water ingress ? Nail in Cable ?

Regards,

DS

PS how are you checking for power?

May be worth checking to see what conductors aren't getting power at the light(s).

What I mean is, you may not necessarily have live there, but is there neutral or even earth there?

It sounds like you may have downlights. Are they 230 or 12 volt? Are you certain you have tested at the 230 volt bit?

Are you certain the main junction box isn't above one of the lights?

All obvious questions I know, but just trying to save a nasty hole in your ceiling.

Umm, interesting. I've asked the neighbour above if he has done any DIY on his floor, which is my ceiling! See what he says.

It's definitely not a nail from me. Water is possible... but might this dry up and let them start working again if it were a splash, and wouldn't the circuit likely trip? It didn't trip at all.

I have a power tracer pen like this: http://jto.tinxi.us/images/2610025-3.jpg

Sponsored Links
May be worth checking to see what conductors aren't getting power at the light(s).

What I mean is, you may not necessarily have live there, but is there neutral or even earth there?

It sounds like you may have downlights. Are they 230 or 12 volt? Are you certain you have tested at the 230 volt bit?

Are you certain the main junction box isn't above one of the lights?

All obvious questions I know, but just trying to save a nasty hole in your ceiling.

They are 230V, so no I don't have any transformer in the way: https://www.simplelighting.co.uk/ai...KngbcSylvnehj65ravTHy28E28D6N3aHqMaAuVW8P8HAQ

I'm certain where the main junction box is - unfortunately in a place I can't get to easily. ! My fault I know, but I didn't foresee a problem occurring with it. Can lose wires come lose over time undisturbed? I thought not and it sounds ridiculous to ask, but I'm just eliminating the possibility!

I don't know how to go about checking for neutral or earth there. I've just been using a power testing pen thing. I do have a multi meter - but I'll have to figure out how to use it first? Can you offer any quick tips on how to test this?

Thanks

I tested voltage at the switch on the 3 gangs.

They all have 240V at live and neutral with the switches on.

However, with the switches off, one has 0V, one has 10V.... and the problematic one has 39V. Does this mean anything useful?

Joint boxes are not permitted to be unaccesible, for this very reason. You likely have a loose connection.

However, with the switches off, one has 0V, one has 10V.... and the problematic one has 39V. Does this mean anything useful?
The 39v on the switched live suggests that the lamp is missing or there is no neutral to the lamp

Neutral----Lamp-------Switch---------Live

The connection between lamp and switch is the Switched Live and not a Neutral. When the switch is off the Switched Live is connected to Neutral through the lamp and should appear as being at Neutral potential.

You talked about taking the switch off and checking it - you did check the light bulb didn't you?

PJ

You talked about taking the switch off and checking it - you did check the light bulb didn't you?

PJ

Lol. That would be embarrassing.

There are 2 x 3 bulbs in each. Kind of pointless checking them if there is no power getting to the cables though right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back