lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the legal amount of light you can have on a car for road use? standard is 2 55W lamps, but are you alowed 4?

Sponsored Links
andy said:
whats the legal amount of light you can have on a car for road use? standard is 2 55W lamps, but are you alowed 4?

Looks like ...
No max for Main-beam headlamps which I guess includes 'driving or spot lamps'.
Positionally it looks like the dipped headlights have some controls :- Max lateral position to side of vehicle 400 mm (I think this is the nearest illuminated edge of the light, to the side of vehicle.)
Min ht off ground 500 mm, max ht 1200 mm. probably lamp centre.
Main-beam headlamps not to be closer to vehicle side than the dipped headlights.
I guess modern, approved vehicle equipment (lighting bulbs) will be at least to a minimum acceptable standard and wattage / light output.

See final section headed 'Schedules' Re-read the above here Here

If you require more light but not 'rally style, very costly, night into day stuff' It may be worth investigating uprated lamps ... I saw a test, how reliable I know not, nevertheless here is the addy'...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/61032/bulb_test_h7_50.html
Note the +50 type is claimed to give 50% more light.
You could end up with perhaps, the effect of one extra light, just through changing from the standard lamps.

You could change main and/or dipped beam lamps - depending on requirement.
Here is an informative site .. prices? Look reasonable.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php

;)

pity my car wasnt 24V instead of 12V... can get 100W lamps if it was!

I dont think there is anything to stop you putting in 90/130s in. Just make sure you always fit a pair with the same wattage.
Never had mine fail mots for having them in.

Sponsored Links
Grrrr, foglights! :LOL:

There are some roads were I think I could do with having more power to my main beams, but I can foresee a problem with fitting more powerful lights... oncoming traffic.

a) Now, say you're driving down a country lane in the dark, and a car comes round the corner ahead. You can usually spot him coming because he is lighting up the hedges and so forth. So, you know to switch to dipped.

b) At other times, especially on clear nights when driving on roads with lots of hills, you won't see him coming until you actually see his headlights. You get a brief period where you dazzle each other a little, and then you both dip... I would think the contours of the countryside mean you are shining mostly above the other car as you come over the peak.

However, if you have much more powerful lights, then in situation a), your lights may be so bright that you don't notice his lighting up of the hedges etc.

In situation b), if you don't see the oncoming car until relatively close, then you will dazzle him a lot. It's bad enough with standard main beams, but generally you can slow down in time to recover before you hit anything! However, with these super-main beams, you would dazzle someone far more severely.

So, rather than just upgrade the bulbs, perhaps you should consider an entirely separate extra set of lights you can switch in and out? Perhaps have them linked to your main beams with a relay, but certainly give yourself control to switch them in and out.

That way you could use them on an unlit motorway, where you need the extra distance to keep your speed up, but on winding country lanes where you only need to see as far as the next corner, you could rely on your standard mainbeam.

If you don't mind doing a bit of modification, you might even be able to fit the extra bulbs in the standard reflectors alongside the standard ones. :!:

i dont want any extra lights on the car, so what i wanted was a 2part bulb instead. use 1 part as normal, and have the other parts switched thru relay so i can decide if i want to use them or not. if im drivin around town, well lit, all i need is the 2 normal powered lights. drivin down a country road with no lights and 11PM then i could easily use more light.

for the dipped side, a 2part bulb should be fine, the reflected bit (when used) will (hopefully) reflect more downwards than the original beam. for the main beam side, the reflector part should reflect down to a certin degree (altho itll still appear as main beam to most people, unless there upstairs on a bus and im 10metre from them....

will have a look tomorrow (once it stops ****in down) to see how easy i can change them. will also try additional dipped beam in the dark to make sure it isnt blinding (last thing i want to happen)

and adam - for B, you can usually see their light reflecting on air before they hit the top off the hill so you have time to get excess lihts off.

remember a few weeks ago goin down a motorway some idiot charv didnt want to turn his fog lights/main beam off, so the truck i was overtaking put his lights on.... charv soon turned his fog lights off....

Andy, it would probably be quite pricey but I have heard of retrofit xenon headlamps.

Despite the dazzling effect of a set in the rearview mirror, they aren't any more powerful. However they are meant to give a better view of the road. Presumably they are more efficient and the blue tinge is more compatible with human eyes.

Of course you wouldn't achieve your aim of "additional" lighting, and would be dazzling those who find xenon's dazzling (myself included!)

Heat is the only technical issue I can think of. You can upgrade wiring relatively easily, but I have no idea where you could find out how the additional heat would affect the lenses and reflectors. Trial and error I suppose! :D

Post your project if you go ahead with it, with all the 3am country driving I do I could do with some extra light too!

have got some H4 bulbs. first problem: the H4 doesnt go into the light far enough. its body (metal part) is too wide. aswell as ill then have fixing problem, but at least i can easily manage that.

took out the old bulb and its no a standard H7. it has a plastic base with a 3 part locking and a 90° power connector, so it isnt a straight swap for new brighter H7's either

there is also a seal around the existing bulb to the holder. what if i dont seal the new lamps? i wouldnt imagine it gets wet there

have tried to get an H4 bulb into the H7 holder. what a ****in disaster. looks like its back to the drawing board

Did You get the info from the site I quoted? The results appear in seperate window.

[code:1]
Astra Mk4 4/98 onwards.
MAIN/HIGH BEAM 9005/HB3
DIPPED/LOW BEAM H7
FOG LIGHT H11
SIDE/PARKING LIGHT 501
FRONT INDICATOR 581

Astra Mk5 2004-
MAIN/HIGH BEAM H1
DIPPED/LOW BEAM H7
FOG LIGHT H11
SIDE/PARKING LIGHT 501
FRONT INDICATOR 581
[/code:1]

HB3 / 9005
t_16150_01.gif

H7
t_16146_01.jpg

H1
t_16137_01.jpg

I would sytay clear of modding existing units ... approval markings etc.

Some upgrades are for off road use only.. The 50% extras are legal.
Pair of H1 Osram Silverstar 50% @ £18.45 Osram Silverstars are fully E marked and road legal.
Pair of Phillips HB3 12V 65W Premium 30% @ £23.45 HB3 Philips Premium bulbs are E marked and road legal.

HID Conversion kits are very expensive.. £250 plus..
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=619

Some of the FAQ thoughts - facts or fiction ??
Doesn't the use of Xenon lamps cause more irritation amongst other drivers?
The International regulations governing light distribution and intensity on the road are very strict. Xenon light falls well within these standards. Technically speaking , xenon lighting is less irritating than halogen lamps. This is because the light darkness transition border are much more clearly defined. Less light is reflected into the eyes of oncoming drivers. The increased light output is used to give more homogeneous light distribution and to improve the illumination of the verges.

Why is it that Xenon light sometimes causes irritation to oncoming drivers?
In normal conditions drivers look straight ahead. Due however to the conspicuous colour of the new technology drivers are more inclined to look into other cars headlights. The same phenomenon was experienced with the introduction of halogen lamps in the sixties. In those days drivers spoke of those 'irritating white lights'. Everybody will gradually become accustomed to this type of light as they did to the introduction of yellow lights in France and the use of a third brake light.

Are these HID systems road legal?
According to EU legislation HID systems factory fitted from new require a self levelling system and a lens washer to be fitted. However this is not specified for aftermarket kits. Our kits have passed all safety and emmissions tests and produce the correct light pattern. We know they will pass an MOT (original bulbs can be reinstalled in minutes if required without uninstalling the HID system). We are not aware of any legality issues in terms of the police. However this issue is a grey one with lots of confusion so until we can obtain official written proof either way, we must sell these for off road and display systems only.

I do recall the 'halogen Lamp' intro' and the reservations of some leading motoring jouno's at the time ...
:?:

its an HB3 bulb thats in. if i can get an H4 lamp into the holder, then the filiment is in the same place as the existing HB3, so i shouldnt have any problems with that. what i was then gonna do is have 1 lamp facing upwards and the other facing downwards. hopefully, the light facing down will appear the same as the dipped beam and not blind anyone. now i just have to get another light holder since i dont wanna drill holes etc on the light thats in now

H4-HB3-4.jpg

Best of luck ... Methinks you are going to need it. ! ;)

empip said:
H4-HB3-4.jpg

Best of luck ... Methinks you are going to need it. ! ;)

once i get a hold of a 2nd hand headlight unit, ill try modifing it. dont wanna **** existing and have no lights

Sponsored Links
Back