Lightweight stock fencing... which tensioning tools?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put up a straight 50m run of stock fencing (just to buffer our boundary from a single horse in the adjoining field) and haven't done more than very small sections before, bodging it without proper tools.

I see several of options for tensioning - gripples, ratchet tensioners, barrel strainers - any recommendations from people who have done this? Gripples seem a great option but you do need the special tool which is pretty pricey.
I've seen a few 'hacks' as well like using a ratchet strap ;)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Stock netting isn't great for horses, there's the possibility of them getting their feet stuck in it, and also if they do stand on it they can pull it downwards, damaging the fence over a long period of time

Stock netting isn't great for horses, there's the possibility of them getting their feet stuck in it, and also if they do stand on it they can pull it downwards, damaging the fence over a long period of time
Thanks for the tip - so would a simpler 5 wire fence be better?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back