Lime plaster vs Renderlite on solid brick walls? Is Renderlite breathable enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - does anyone with an old property (solid brick walls, lime mortar, concrete floors) have experience of renderlite?

Our major renovation is (finally) underway after burst pipe last March. Had agreed lime plaster for walls, as there were previous damp probs. Exterior wall has impermeable, unremovable paint (except bottom 18 inches where we have removed render). The house had a few damp issues when we moved in, now almost completely dry - til pipe burst :(

Bags have just turned up and they are Renderlite. I know the guff says it is "breathable and moisture resistent" (huh?) but wonder if it is really as good as lime. Surveyor says Renderlite is so common he never dreamed I meant actual lime plaster when we discussed it... The rationale seems speed to plaster and safety of plasterers.

Also they are planning to paint the concrete floor with bitumen stuff and lay a latex screed - is this ok wrt possible damp issues? Having spent years removing non-permeable paint and mortar and render where possible, with good and evident effects, I thought we could finally have the right product. They have already painted 18 inches of this black stuff on the lower walls (while I was at lunch yesterday...). I know we agreed no tanking but surveyor says this was agreed.

I have a few days perhaps to confirm the right product and approach - can anyone advise? Was looking at Ecolime Unity https://ecolime.co.uk/shop/lime-render/unity-light-weight-insulating-plaster-12-23-kg-bag/ which seems similar in claimed performance to renderlite (not sure of lime content of either, tbh). Lime expert people naturally say use lime ...

Some walls (because of building control specifying u values) they are fitting 3 inch studs and plan to infill with rockwool (I would prefer wool) - again, is this going to be breathable enough on a wall that has in past been damp enough to blow off the gypsum plaster (it became ok when replaced with lime plaster). What plasterboard / plaster should go on the studs? And is gypsum on internal walls ok wrt damp?

Sorry for all the qs. A bit of a panic as we finally have movement on repairs after 10 months of nothing happening (thank you, More Th>n) and worried it will cause more problems than it solves! It's a huge job, 10 rooms to be replastered and 5 new ceilings...

Sponsored Links
Guessing you replaced all the old ground level floors .
Lime takes ages to dry , have very little xp working with lime product's think we used a company called cornish lime , was a 200 year old farm house riddled with damp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back