Lime Plastering quote - reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just received a quote for some internal lime plastering on our old farmhouse, to replace the blown cement based plaster with a 3 coat lime plaster instead to allow the solid walls of our property to breathe again.

Plaster specification
2 x haired scratch coats using 3-1 sharp sand with hydraulic lime and then 1 coat of finish plaster using 1-1 silvers and and lime putty @£50/m2

This price is excluding any hacking off of old plaster which has just been quoted for at a flat day rate so will vary depending on how easy the existing stuff comes off.

I just wondered if this £50/m2 seemed a reasonable quote? I've really struggled to find a decent heritage tradesman, some haven't turned up, some never replied, some came and looked then never got back to me.

This one seems decent but with nothing else to go one i'd just appreciate some feedback as we're looking at several thousand pounds worth of plastering

Cheers

Sponsored Links
So any plasterers able to comment on whether this seems to be a readonable price or not?

Thanks

So any plasterers able to comment on whether this seems to be a readonable price or not?

Thanks

I'd suggest to get another couple of quotes from reputable local tradesman and compare based on that.
It's going to be very difficult for any pro to comment having not seen the job.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned ive not had any luck getting decent tradesmen to quote for the job.

I'm not sure what would be so difficult about saying whether or not £50/m2 is a reasonable quote or not for doing a 3 layer lime plastering over stripped stone walls or not.

As said this price is purely for the plastering not any hacking off.

My house is half lime render and half cement render - not a bit of difference between them. It's your floors that need looking at - that is where the damp comes in. If you don't sort the problem then there is NO solution.

It has nothing to do with the floors

Its a grade 2 listed farm house with 600mm thick solid stone walls and high paths around the property causing penetrating damp. The paths around the propety don't drain well so hold water against the walls which penetrate through and has blown all the cement plaster off. Were installing a french drain to prevent water being held up against the wall as well as replastering with the proper materials.

As said nothing to do with the floors

If it has no membrane then it is. Farting about with lime plaster won't sort your issues. No-wonder no-one gets back to you.

2 to 2500 would be about right. Glad to see you are using the correct materials and have not been conned into believing you have mythical rising damp.

Joe prehaps youd like to enlighten everyone as to how fitting a dpm under the floor is going to stop damp penetrating sideways through the walls from raised paths surrounding the building.

You clealy know something all the heritage experts don't

Thanks for the reply Johnmelad

Do you mind me asking if that price based on you being a professional plasterer? Or based on previous work youve had done?

£2000/2500 works out at £35/40m2 rather than the £50 Ive been quoted.

So my quote sounds on the high side at the mo.

Joe prehaps youd like to enlighten everyone as to how fitting a dpm under the floor is going to stop damp penetrating sideways through the walls from raised paths surrounding the building.

You clealy know something all the heritage experts don't

You'll find out in good time. ;)

Always sign of a good <cough> professional </cough> when you ask them to explain their reasoning and they can't/won't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back