LIME PUTTY PLASTERING QUERY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I asked a question on here last week regarding the replaster of my chimney and got some great advice. However i posted a reply at the end and no-body got back as it probably just went un-noticed as it turned out to be quite a long thread, so i've taken the quote (below) and re-listed in the hope that TROWELMONKEY1 or RICHARD C can help me again

trowelmonkey1 wrote previously:
lay on with poly float (2 coats) weird i know but it's apparently the way to do it, goes on flatter, sure you could do ok with a normal trowel though.

scour (like rubbing up, circular motions to get it flat) with cross grain float (soak in water for an hour prior) to bring fat out & trowel twice to remove fat, 1 in each hand, scour with left then trowel it off with right.

brush diagonally to remove glaze once trowelling finished with damp brush

probably best to try some on a piece of board first
MY QUESTION (May sound dumb but would rather ask and be sure)

TM: you say i need to "soak in water for an hour prior to bring fat out" as i'm mearly a DIY plasterer and not like you po's at the risk of sounding like a fool "is it the wall i need to soak??" and if so do i just use a spray bottle to keep it moist for approx 1 hour or are we talking soaking wet?? is that what you mean or have i lost track completely.

Oh!! and what does bringing the fat out mean?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
i've taken the quote (below) and re-listed in the hope that TROWELMONKEY1 or RICHARD C can help me again
Sorry but I'm a lime plaster virgin I'm afraid, its gonna have to be either TM or one of the others experienced in getting the best from lime plaster.

When TM said "soak it water for an hour prior", he meant "soak the wooden cross grain float for an hour". With any wooden float, it is best to soak them in water prior to use, which allows the wood to soak up moisture,, keeping the shape. You don't get many wooden floats nowadays. :(
"Bringing up the fat" means, creating a fine cream for finishing the plastered wall, (cream of the barley). Using a water brush or spray bottle, a small amount of water is flicked/sprayed onto the plaster, and using the cross grain, or a sponge float, in a circular rubbing motion over the wall surface, cream/fat is created, which is then troweled back in, to fine tune any blemishes/smooth the wall. This process can be repeated a few times until the wall is finished. This is "not" the same kind of fat/cream you'd get from multi finish,,,, and just to add,, i'm not an expert on lime plaster.

Sponsored Links
Just to add my twopennyworth, lime putty plastering as TM advised is correct but you need to be aware it does not behave like render or skimming. It needs to be constantly wetted with a fine spray both before,and during scratch and finish coats, regularly,if you don't it will crack for sure,it even needs consistent wetting up to 24 hours after finish coat is applied and remember it takes days to cure properly and can only be painted with lime wash or distemper,it will blow anything else off in time even microporous emulsions.It is not easy to work with and needs a bucketfull of patience.The upside is you can play with it forever to the desired finish :D

hey! sorry for my absence fellas, been swamped with work!

the boys seem to have my back though ;) thanks RC and Dave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back