lime render on dormer window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there-hope someone can advise me on this.
I am carrying out much needed remedial work on the three dormers in our roof.
After much thought about the alternatives I've decided on a lime render to the cheeks and small gable.

I found a very usefull thread on this forum about the traditional way of forming external corners using arris sticks,and I think I understand the principal.

There are several things I'm unsure about,and the supplier of the lime,while very helpfull,suggested I need to talk to someone with experience.

The render will be applied to a 25mm board specified by the lime people.
Looks a bit rude,but I'll list the questions ;

1.How thick should the render be,and how many coats,I'm going for a pretty rustic finish ( not skilled to do otherwise really)

2.Where the render will meet the wooden widow frame,should there be additional weather protection as i imagine the render/timber will shrink away (i'm a plumber and can tackle most leadwork)

3. What is the best way to deal with the junction between render and lead flashing between the cheeks and pantiles-or maybe the flashing should go under the 25mm render board-would make a big step though.

4. Do I just render up to the underside of the bits of soffit on the cheeks and gable-again I was wondering about shrinkage.

5. This will all be subject to building control,is there anything re.insulation etc they might need (pretty non existant at the moment).

Any help much appreciated.Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back