External window sill repair (Victorian house)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all!

Looking for some advise,

I’m Renovating a small late Victorian terraced house in south London, I fondly call it “humbly built” but the reality is that these were cheap houses quickly thrown up! anyway the living room window sill is in need of some attention. There was a layer of render (I think concrete) that had blown, so I’ve removed that but I’ve discovered that the sill is made up on a number of smaller pieces of I think stone and a large “gully” has formed in the centre of the sill running most of the length of it. At first I thought it might be some sort of runoff channel but now I think it’s just where the stone has been eaten away over time. I would love to have the original stone still on display My questions are
1 Were the sills always rendered to hide the cheap materials?
2 Would these originally have had a lime render on them?
3 If not, should I just re-render with a concrete render?

Sponsored Links
Once resufaced bays buy flooding with self leveling compound and added a little extra cement, left lovely smooth finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back