Limestone Mantel-How Do I Secure The Metal Fixing Brackets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am part way through installing a new fireplace. The granite hearth and cast iron backing are in place and I am now trying to install a limestone mantel surround. The surround came with metal wall fixing brackets which I need to first secure to the limestone mantel legs. I have tried several adhesives (no nails, tile adhesive) but none were succesful in securing the brackets to the limestone.
I need to complete this by Christmas eve as I have 3 x kids who are expecting Santa Claus to come down this chimney with an assortment of presents!

Any suggestions on how I can secure the brackets?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
When I installed my fireplace I drilled and rawpluged the brackets to the limestone fireplace head. You can use tile cement to secure the fireplace to the wall as well. Kind of belt and braces but I didn't want to take the risk of the fireplace falling down.. it's dam heavy and I have small kids.

Thanks for the response.
The fireplace surround which I have is in 4 x pieces;
2 x legs
1 cross member
1 x head (sits on the cross member)

The legs are hollow so there is not much surface area to secure to the wall.
I was worried that if I drill the limestone that it would crumble. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
If this a 'real' limestone fireplace then there should be no problem drilling into the head. Just don't drill too close to the edge and use a sensible sized drill. It sounds a bit strange to me that the legs are hollow. This would indicate that you might have a "composite" stone fireplace and I have no idea if you can drill into those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back