United Kingdom
Didn't know, Hager rcbo instructions

Attachments

• 15214900462541799525659437764988.jpg
    15214900462541799525659437764988.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 331
Sponsored Links
Didn't know, Hager rcbo instructions
Hmmm. Given that the other two L and N are labelled 'Load', I suppose they are using "Line" to mean 'Supply'! I may be wrong, but that sounds a bit American to me (don't they talk about 'line cords'?).

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps it's a typo?
Possibly - but, if that were the case, what do you think they intended to type?

As I said, both L & N on the 'load' side are labelled "Load" and the L on the supply side is labelled "Line" (which makes me suspect that they deliberately typed "Line" for the supply-side Neutral as well, since they appear to be using "Load" to identify the load side and "Line" to identify the supply side.

Not, of course, that I think they should have done that - at least not for UK readers!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I was thinking LIVE... As live covers N as well.
Who knows - but to do that would, I think, be very foolish - since it would confuse almost everyone other than electricians.

Also, it would seem rather odd if they labelled the supply-side L as "Line" and the supply-side N as "Live", wouldn't it? ... or are you suggesting that both are typos?

Kind Regards, John

I agree it's foolish but not necessarily your reason - to be fair this is an RCBO, not a light fitting.(y)
It is, but I was thinking/talking more generally, since I can't see why they should single out RCBOs for that use of words. If it were deliberate (which I somehow doubt), then I would imagine that they would use the same wording fairly widely, hence possibly/probably impacting on people other than electricians.

If secure were right about it being a typo for "Live", then I would find that even more odd - since the supply-side L & N aren't really any more 'live' (or potentially live) than the load-side L & N, which they have labelled "Load". I would imagine that the word that they put next to the supply-side L & N was meant to distinguish them from the load-side L & N. You and I would probably write "Supply", but they seem to have chosen something rather different - and, in my opinion, confusing!

Kind Regards, John

I would say some one has told the draughtsman we call Live Line now, so he has call all previous Lives Line and it has missed being proof read. You can see how, first proof read some one says we call that Line now not Live, and some one selects replace and replaces all Lives with Line.

It is in no way unusual for accessories to be marked as "line" and "load" instead of "supply" and "feed", and is certainly not unique to Hager. There is really no reason to believe that it was in any way inadvertent.

I would say some one has told the draughtsman we call Live Line now, so he has call all previous Lives Line and it has missed being proof read.
Yes, but you are iimplying that the intention was that both the N & L on the supply side should be labelled "Live" (whilst those of the load side were labelled "Load"). Whilst that is technically correct in terms of electrical definitions, that would be unusual (and perhaps confusing) wording, at least in the UK.

The intention of the words was presumably to distinguish between the (L & N) supply-side and the (L & N) load-side, and to call one side "Live" would not really achieve that - since both sides are 'live' (or potentially 'live').

As I said at the start, I think such terminology would probably be more common in the US (and elsewhere) - but I think that is because they sue "line" in a different way than we do (as in "Line Cord").

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back