lining a chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Back in November we were having the chimney rebuilt on our three storey house. That required scaffolding (no access for cherry-pickers) and so, knowing that we would be buying a stove at some point in the future, we got a stove company to line the chimney for us at the same time (saving on scaffolding costs). They gave us quote, told us what we needed etc.

Now, however, we have the stove, and the fitters (different company, due to bad customer service) are saying that we should have had the chimney insulated. It's on an exterior wall, three storeys. The thing is, that to get it insulated now means getting scaffolding etc put up.

Do we actually need to get the chimney insulated? Some people say it will be fine, others that we're risking a house fire. Personally, being a worrybean, I can't say that the stove will be as relaxing as hoped if I'm worrying about hosue fires! I'm looking for advice, as don't want to spend close on £1000 for scaffolding if insulation isn't needed! Having said that, will look to challenge the original company about their bad advice if it is!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Squarepeg

From recollection, the point of insulating around liners in external chimneys is to reduce possible condensation and subsequent corrosion of the liner. I can't recall any mention of it being a fire hazard - its a chimney for gods sake!!! :D

HRH

I agree...I think though they were talking about condensation of tar and creosote etc, and that you need to keep the flue gasses hot so that they don't condense and leave these around to catch fire later on. Could be talking nonsense of course!

Squarepeg

A liners guarentee is dependant on you not burning anything producing products that are likely to damage it, eg tanalised timber, 'green' wood, etc. It's been a while since I installed mine so my memory is a little vague. The key is to make sure you get it swept regularly.

HRH

Sponsored Links
Your Highness, I hope you`re enjoying your stay in Sussex. You probably won`t remember me , I gave you a V sign when you visited (the late) Lord Rupert Neville with your Mum+Dad @ Uckfield in the 60`s:cool: :LOL: :LOL:

Your Highness, I hope you`re enjoying your stay in Sussex. You probably won`t remember me , I gave you a V sign when you visited (the late) Lord Rupert Neville with your Mum+Dad @ Uckfield in the 60`s:cool: :LOL: :LOL:

Nige, Alas no. Your fondly recounted digital welcome from yesteryear has long since been forgotten. Hardly surprising considering the number of times that that particular greeting has been proffered over the years.
I must say that I do find the propensity of my British subjects to greet one with the good old 2 finger salute rather comforting - far better that the single finger approach of those ghastly Americans!!!

:D

HRH

You might be able to get away without going on the roof by taking a brick out of the flue in the attic and pouring the insulation in from there. I shouldn't think you need worry about the last few feet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back