Lining a Fireplace and covering the adjacent walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. Sorry to resurrect an often repeated question and that it's long, but as I'll be having my woodburner installed next week, I wanted some quick answers.

Even though I'm having a Hetas Installer to install my woodburner,I still like to research around a subject for myself. We had a small fireplace which we've taken back to the builders opening and removed the fire brick etc. We have also raised the lintel and widened the fireplace. We exposed the chimney breast back to the brick, so everything needed to be lined and rendered/plastered etc.

I had done a bit of research and was going to go with Hardiebacker board to line the fireplace, I was also going to continue this for the immediate surround too. However, I thought I'd better ask the installer if he had a preference, he suggested Glasroc 6mm, so that's what we went with. I am now realising, that this only withstands temperatures up to 49 degress centigrade?

We've used the Glasroc in the fireplace as suggested then used firecheck board for the surround. I sent a couple of pictures to the installer, but he has now said he doesn't want the fire check board.(Probably would have been helpful if he or I had asked/mentioned what should surround the fireplace).He wants us to take the fireboard surround back to 70mm away from the edge of the fireplace all the way around the fireplace opening and render the gap.

So it looks like we'll be removing the firecheck board. What would people advise for around the fireplace. I was thinking I'd use the remaining Glasroc 400mm as a surround to the sides and above (have chosen an arbitrary 400mm, sort of based on the 3x the size of flue regs) I'll be painting within the recess either side of the tiled area, see photo. What should I be applying to the Glasroc if I decide to have it plastered. I realise you can paint on top of these boards, but as part of the board above the 400mm,will be simply firecheck then I may want to plaster this. Should I be using fire retardant plaster and if so do I need to prepare the boards prior to plastering. Also how large an area do I need to extend this specific plaster from the fireplace/stove flue.

Any tips would really be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back