Render and plaster fireplace

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Looking for some sound advice on this one please, I have taken out my old fireplace surround and hearth in order to put in a multifuel stove .
Trouble is the wall will be to be rendered and plastered before I put the stove in, I wanted to render inside the fireplace and surround so do I go with vitcas fireproofing render and plaster or mix up sand cement lime mix.
I have never plastered before but the area is small , local contractor is being a dick so will do the job myself .
The vitcas stuff is expensive but if it’s the only way to go then I guess I will have to fork out for it.
As I said it’s a small area and should not be a problem ,blockwork has soot residue but will wire brush it off before render.
Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• ACCD030B-5BD2-42D4-A2CB-A1545BD54C2C.jpeg
    ACCD030B-5BD2-42D4-A2CB-A1545BD54C2C.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 198
Sponsored Links
Declan, you first have to select a stove, and then open up the chimney breast to the stove manufacturer's dimensions.
you will need to get the flue swept.
and the terminal on the chimney stack will need to be checked for soundness, and if its suitable for a SS flue liner.
the hearth will also need to be to certain dimensions.

why not post more pics when you've opened up to the specified dimensions?

you will probably need a new, wider lintel fixed at a higher position - we can show you how to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back