Plastering around fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My plasterer is planning to render inside the fireplace and then skim over the plasterboard and finsh. However, he is a little worried that beading around the edge where the plasterboard meets the fireplace will not be adequate enough. He is worried that the finish won't be good enough and a crack could appear. Do you guys have any other suggestions/alternative ideas? I plan o put a 4kw woodburner in te fireplace.

I've tried to upload an image but can't via the iPad any suggestions?

Regards

Spookey

Sponsored Links
Render with what?
And using plasterboard where?

I would be using a lime render for both internal of fireplace and chimney breast.
Normal plaster finish is likely crack, from the heat dissipated by the fire.

Thanks forthe reply wish I could upload the photo!

Well the chimney breast is covered in plasterboard using dot and dab and he intends to skim this upto the edge of th fireplace opening where he will place the beading and then render with what you have said inside the fireplace?!

Will this suffice or will cracks start to appear over time?

Regards

Spookey

Sponsored Links
hi spookey,

sounds like you're being offered a less than adequate solution here, if i understand it correctly.

your 4kw burner is going to kick out a lot of heat, gypsum will only take around 50-55 degrees before problems start.

i agree with PBoD that lime is the best solution here as it will take the heat better than anything else, you'll need it on both the inside and on the face of the chimney breast as the heat will get all around the opening and differences in materials with those kinda changes in temps will cause different rates of movement and cracks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back