Plastering a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please advise me on how to go about plastering around a fireplace. I am looking to temporarily block my fireplace with plasterboard and have it skimmed over. My problem is that there are few bricks on the sides of the fireplace opening and a fireback sticking out from the wall by a few inches. Can these be cut back with a grinder ? just looking to get an even finish.

107000_106066_23837_49591059_thumb.jpg
[/url][/img]

107000_106066_23838_48638301_thumb.jpg
[/url][/img]

107000_106066_23839_93289100_thumb.jpg
[/url][/img]

Thanks

Sponsored Links
use a hammer and bolster m8te or get a really good dust mask can you not nock it back then brick it up the a tite coat of bonding then a two coat finish use sugar soap too clean the brick work before plastering as it bleeds through the new plaster put a air block it for a vent cant remember it not have too or nock it back then D&D the brest razer bead the corners then skim it up frunt and sides save time and a lt of mess too
ill D&D and skim that and a mist coat £200 m8te and ill bring my own tea and bikkys

or thinking of it looking at pics m8te insted or nocking the bricks about screw battons on the brest too level it out then plasterboard it skim it job done

i know some spreads well say im a **** for saying this but id use 12.5mm board over that frunt just coz its thicker and will not spring over the hole
just to cover my arse from doing it in the past and never had a call back i was tort too use 9.5mm on wall &12.5mm on lids

sugar soap too clean the brick work before plastering as it bleeds through the new plaster

thanx for the tip m8, never knew that. You learn something new each day :D With regards to air brick, i will be cutting a hole in the plasterboard at the bottom and fit a plastic ventilation grill. I don't fancy bricking it up as i know one day i will have to remove it and with plasterboard its less mess. I will cut it back with a grinder for a neat finish, then plaster it as you mentioned above.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
first time i did a stack job i didnt suger soap it it looked like a dalmation when i was next on the job
never agen iv got some in the flat now i need it lol

i would just like to know why this is a temporary job what makes u think one day your going to rip the whole lot off? have you something else planned for the fire place?

i would just like to know why this is a temporary job what makes u think one day your going to rip the whole lot off? have you something else planned for the fire place

I was made redundant from work in last month, so the property will be letted out for a year or so until i get my finances in order; But when i do move in i want to have a fireplace installed. I was told by the housing agency that tentants tend to moan about draught comming from fireplaces that are not used. I hope that explains why the temp solution to coverup the fireplace :)

i would just like to know why this is a temporary job what makes u think one day your going to rip the whole lot off? have you something else planned for the fire place

I was made redundant from work in last month, so the property will be letted out for a year or so until i get my finances in order; But when i do move in i want to have a fireplace installed. I was told by the housing agency that tentants tend to moan about draught comming from fireplaces that are not used. I hope that explains why the temp solution to coverup the fireplace :)
yes that makes sense but i wouldn't use an angle grinder i would use an sds with a chisel it will take those bricks out in 10 minutes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back