lining paper after stain block on walls advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hoping for some advice from this very helpful forum. I have sugar soaped and cleaned my badly stained walls ( previously emulsioned ), and applied dulux trade stain block+.....is this now suitable to apply lining paper? my intention is to paint the lining paper with water based matt emulsion but a trial area has resulted in the lining paper lifting along seams. Wondered if there should be any further prep needed to walls prior to lining paper. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why us it at all? lining paper is crap.

He's a great help, isn't he :rolleyes:

What caused the staining in the first place? Damp plaster? Tar seeping through from chimney breast? Drunken people chucking wine all over wall?

(That might be the clue to what you need to do to succeed with the lining paper).

If it was painted prior then it can be painted again. Lining paper is painted wallpaper and looks rubbish.

Sponsored Links
If it was painted prior then it can be painted again. Lining paper is painted wallpaper and looks rubbish.

It depends on the condition of the walls.

Lining paper can be 'crap', I agree, or look shoddy if it's not applied well, e.g.if you can see the joins. If applied invisibly it gives a softer effect than plaster, which some people like in sitting rooms, etc.

Mav-Erfurt Wallrock liner gives a superior finish to most makes (in my experience) and can be a better option than painting the plaster if the plaster is in poor condition. The best option is obviously to have grotty walls skimmed, but that isn't always practical or affordable.

And in OP's case, until we know what caused the staining, there's a limit to the useful advice we can give him. Just painting over stains with emulsion probably won't mask them.

Nothing wrong with lining paper its usually the person putting it up thats the problem, done properly it's seemless and you wouldn't know its there.

Key the walls with a good rub down and make sure all the sugar soap is cleaned off. If the stain is still active it will bleed around the stain block and find its way to the surface.

A decent plasterer can make walls perfectly flat as well as smooth with crisp corners. Lining paper is painted wallpaper. Take your pick.

A decent plasterer can make walls perfectly flat as well as smooth with crisp corners. Lining paper is painted wallpaper. Take your pick.

Nobody is disputing the skill of a decent plasterer.

But not everyone can afford a decent plasterer and lining paper - if correctly hung - can be a perfectly acceptable alternative.

No it isn't. I can plaster a room for the same price that you line it.

No it isn't. I can plaster a room for the same price that you line it.

How do you know what I charge to line a room?!

If it's true then you are probably undervaluing yourself. Decent plasterers in this area charge £250 per day, whereas experienced decorators average out at about £120-150. Plastering is more physically exhausting than decorating, I suppose.

no way on the planet you'll get £250. Ask in the plastering forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back