Lining paper lifting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a room lined and painted a few years ago. The finish seemed fine although I had noticed a few cracks in the lining paper and minor lifting on a few edges. Just had a paint redecoration but now there a lots of visible edges. The decorator was great so I can't really fault him but now wondering what could remedy this. I have thought lifting the loose edges and pasting then sanding down lightly then another coat of the emulsion would help. I can't face stripping. Its not too bad but I don't like seeing these edges as other rooms are not like this. Any advice

Sponsored Links
Lift em up, stick em down, fill em if needed then give the walls a couple of coats

Central Heating Systems cause Lining Paper to split edge's. This is an Long term & short term problem. Short term if Heating is not turned off whilst applying Lining Paper & at least upto 72 hours after Lining. Long term is that there is just to much excessive heat being circulated in the room caused by Central Heating Systems. Another problem is if the old plaster has dried out toooooo much, therefore being tooooo much suction being put on the Lining Paper whilst drying etc........................

Sponsored Links
Do Zampa's way or....slightly lift the joins in question, quickly brush some of your emulsion under the paper and onto the wall and stick back immediately.
Always works ;)

There are so many visible joins. Do you think that relining is the best way forward? I spoke to the decorator who installed the lining paper four years ago. He said that using filler which was also spread 1 inch either side of each join would exacerbate the problem as they would make any loose edges looser as the filler would take 90mins to set. He said they should have been glued back down with some overlap adhesive first , tehn lightly sanded then painted. He also said that adhesion was a problem in old houses. In the past he had made a great job of lining the walls, he also said that previous wall coverings can provide a size for new ones, it just depends.

Its going to be relined as the edges were not butted properly. Tis is costing a fortune

Krhos123 said:
Its going to be relined as the edges were not butted properly. Tis is costing a fortune

When you said "The decorator was great so I can't really fault him" ...is this still the case :?:

Personally I think he is talking crap

Krhos123 said:
There are so many visible joins. Do you think that relining is the best way forward? I spoke to the decorator who installed the lining paper four years ago. He said that using filler which was also spread 1 inch either side of each join would exacerbate the problem as they would make any loose edges looser as the filler would take 90mins to set. He said they should have been glued back down with some overlap adhesive first , tehn lightly sanded then painted. He also said that adhesion was a problem in old houses. In the past he had made a great job of lining the walls, he also said that previous wall coverings can provide a size for new ones, it just depends.

Just a thought, but if he is the original decorator, why is he telling you what should have been done?, why didnt he do when he was lining?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back