Lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always tended to use lining paper on walls before painting, mostly to give a better surface than a badly plastered surface. It also gives a softer and warmer feel to the wall.
But my plastering's not at all bad, and I'm wondering if using lining paper has become a bit of an unnecessary habit.
Does anyone else use lining paper if they're just going to paint the wall?

Sponsored Links
In the past I spent hours (weeks probably) stripping 'n' scraping off all remains of paper, paste, paint etc, sanding down, filling, knotting and sizing, admittedly with some great (and some not-so-great) results :( :cry: :mad:

These days I line using 1400 and paint with 20% diluted miscoat followed by at least 2 coats of undiluted colour... Same if-not-better results with a lot less effort :LOL:

I.E. lining paper every time

If your plastering is anywhere near ok then plaster every time. Lining paper is painted wallpaper - and you can't hide that. Neither can you flatten out the walls and fill all the hollows like you do with plastering. Neither can you get those nice sharp corners like you do with angle bead and plaster.

In the past I spent hours (weeks probably) stripping 'n' scraping off all remains of paper, paste, paint etc, sanding down, filling, knotting and sizing, admittedly with some great (and some not-so-great) results :( :cry: :mad:

These days I line using 1400 and paint with 20% diluted miscoat followed by at least 2 coats of undiluted colour... Same if-not-better results with a lot less effort :LOL:

I.E. lining paper every time

Sorry all, I posted this reply on the wrong thread, now I can't find the poor bugger who was asking about removing every last bit of flaky chaff from his walls...

Sponsored Links
I think its down to whatever the job warrants..

If they need plastering and you can plaster then plaster them...if not why go to all that trouble if lining paper will do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back