Link for Balenza's repeated quotation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
That was available in the original thread. It covers various pressurised apparatus, but with no coverage of specific incidents. Seems to be quite a few now, still waiting for the evidence to substantiate these mythical unvented explosions in the uk.

I note the Moderator has deleted certain posts, where the author has no evidence to justify their claims. Some seem to be scaremongering to promote unease amoungst householders who have little or no knowledge of these systems. Subject to correct maintenance procedures and checks, these systems will continue to more than adequately serve their needs for many years to come.

There is no danger with equipment that has been properly maintained by qualified personnel.

Hugh Jaleak wrote

where the author has no evidence to justify their claims

The author is making no claims.
The HSE state this though...................

If pressure equipment fails in use, it can seriously injure or kill
people nearby and cause serious damage to property. Each
year in Great Britain, there are about 150 dangerous
occurrences involving such unintentional releases. Around six
of these result in fatal or serious injury.

Sponsored Links
icon_206.gif

That was available in the original thread. It covers various pressurised apparatus, but with no coverage of specific incidents. Seems to be quite a few now, still waiting for the evidence to substantiate these mythical unvented explosions in the uk.

The "mythical explosions"? Take it up with the HSE.

An unvented cylinder is pressure equipment - I assume you know that. What part of this didn't you understand?

If pressure equipment fails in use, it can seriously injure or kill people nearby and cause serious damage to property. Each year in Great Britain, there are about 150 dangerous occurrences involving such unintentional releases. Around six of these result in fatal or serious injury.

I note the Moderator has deleted certain posts, where the author has no evidence to justify their claims.

Is the HSE good enough for justification? Or do you want a letter off Gordon Brown?

Yes, and the Mod has foolishly taken out of the FAQ the HSE quotes and the one about an annual service and insurance companies not paying up if the annual service is not undertaken - I phoned a few up and that is exactly what they said. I assume he has a vested interests in potentially dangerous equipment. Why else would someone do that?

I believe Balenza is the poster who advised somebody earlier you could fit an unvented on a solid fuel boiler if you were competent enough and that the British Standards were written by Numpty's with nothing better to do. He also claimed I did not no enough about heating if I had to quote standards to my customers, he did not stick to them I presume.
I imagine as I have never noticed him post in the combustion chamber he is not registered... :!: :!:

gasacs wrote

I believe Balenza is the poster who advised somebody earlier you could fit an unvented on a solid fuel boiler if you were competent enough

You can. I didn't explain how though. See this thread.............
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=740523#740523

and that the British Standards were written by Numpty's with nothing better to do.

A lot of them are.

He also claimed I did not no enough about heating if I had to quote standards to my customers,

True. :rolleyes:

he did not stick to them I presume

True again. I have by passed safety controls on Unvented cylinders in the past on the advice of commissioning engineers to acheive heat dumps into them.

I imagine as I have never noticed him post in the combustion chamber he is not registered...

True again.
But then this area is for true Numptys who know little or nothing about heating.
Your job is gas. Stick to that.
Like my smartass comments ?. ;)

I know nothing about these things, but the argument seems to be:

Pressurised equipment goes wrong and kills or injures people.
Unvented cylinders are pressurised
Therefore unvented cylinders are dangerous

to my eye this seems analagous to saying:

Wasps are insects which give people many painful stings
Ladybirds are insects
Therefore ladybirds give people many painful stings

This is however untrue, and the argument is fallacious.

I know nothing about these things, but the argument seems to be:

Pressurised equipment goes wrong and kills or injures people.
Unvented cylinders are pressurised
Therefore unvented cylinders are dangerous

to my eye this seems analagous to saying:

Wasps are insects which give people many painful stings
Ladybirds are insects
Therefore ladybirds give people many painful stings

This is however untrue, and the argument is fallacious.

You have this completly wrong.
Unvented cylinders are dangerous. End of discussion.

In the words of Catherine Tate "Am I bothered" couldn't really care less what you do or think and I bet I'm not alone on that. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back