linked alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are new regulations coming into force in Scotland next year about smoke alarms. At present I have a heat detector in my kitchen and a smoke detector in my hallway, both mains powered and linked. I will add another smoke detector in the room most used during the day. I also have a carbon monoxide detector in the cupboard where my gas boiler is situated. (There are vents through the wall and it is all up to the gas regs). I doubt I’d notice if the carbon monoxide alarm sounded at night as there would be three doors between it and my bedroom.

What are the thoughts on fitting a mains powers linked carbon monoxide alarm is the cupboard where the boiler is? My existing linked alarms are made by BRK and I asked them and they replied “The reason we do not recommend interlinking a CO alarm with a smoke alarm is that it may cause confusion regarding the nature of the emergency. For example, it may not be clear as to why the heat alarm is going off when there is no reason. One may believe it is a false alarm, while there are actually deadly levels of CO. This can decrease the effectiveness of both the alarms”

I can see that point so wondered if it would be sensible to fit two separate carbon monoxide alarms, one interlinked and one stand alone. If the alarms sound and only one carbon monoxide alarm is sounding it is probably either a fire or a false alarm, if both carbon monoxide alarms are sounding then it is time to turn off the boiler and get it checked.

Any thoughts or better ideas.

Sponsored Links
john4703, good evening.

This brand spanking new regulation seems to me like the much vaunted "Tenement Act Scotland" full of good intent but no legal back up?

All tenanted / rented accommodation is supposed to have such installations fitted now? I wonder just how many do not as yet conform but are rented Etc.

I have seen a couple of Newspaper articles, the Scotsman I think, saw it on line only, a web Crawler I use flagged it up, I do not purchase News Papers.???

Estimated cost to install all of the kit £220.00 ??? According to the Newspaper and a shed load more £££ if the system is installed as hard wired by a local Spark

Did a quick check for the Interlinked Fire alarms anything between £ 20 and £ 60 for two units, we have a CO detector but no heat sensor. but several stand alone battery operated Smokies. We live in a ground floor property.

Noticed as you did that the CO Detector does NOT need to be interlinked, in the new Regs. at first glance I thought it was odd, both sources could kill??? the explanation you have from BRK is in my opinion ambiguous.

There are a real load of detectors on the market, even the humble [now interlinked] Smokie can come with heat sensor, or a different interlinked one comes with a CO detector

As for compliance, there will be no mandatory inspections, the only "check" will come if / when the property is placed on the market and the requite report is compiled.

As for fitting two interlinked CO detectors ? yes I can see the logic but? how often [if ever] is the Central heating left on all night? IE running 24 / 7

We have had a leaflet drop in my area drawing attention to this Reg. and offering a "service" to come and fit all the required kit, just phone the following ----------- Number, nice try laddie?

I think it is only a matter of time before someone comes up with a pick and mix system covering all above with different warning sounds for CO and Fire??

I think I will sit on the armchair of my fence until the froth and bubbles dies off and we see what is left floating around as regards integrated systems and at what cost??

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back