Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1845.JPG
IMG_1847.JPG
IMG_1844.JPG
IMG_1845.JPG
IMG_1847.JPG
Hi everyone, renovating my house and after finding various bodges that I have had to sort I'm now onto the bathroom. It was all wood panelled and where the previous owner had extended into the main bedroom to enlarge the bathroom was what I presumed would be a lintel.
When I removed the wood panelling there was no lintel and three layers of bricks left hanging, there was cut outs into the wall either side for a lintel so presumably he couldn't be bothered to finish and buy a lintel.
I have made safe by boshing some wood in.
I have also screwed some scaff planks to the beams above to support.
My plan is to prop up with acrows remove the bricks and put a lintel in, can anyone help with advice on type (thinking non composite concrete as there are no bricks above).
How do I work out size I need (apart from span plus 300mm)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Steve

Sponsored Links
You say there are three layers of bricks, and then go on to say there are no bricks above it??

Although it seems standard practice on this site to defer to "Woody's" advice, I must confess in this instance that I would be a tad sceptical about a 75mm (really 65mm?) p/c concrete lintel on that span. They easily crack and IMO are only suitable for short spans in composite work.
Why not leave the timber in position - minus the props of course.

Thanks guys, where he has removed the wall he has left 3 layers of bricks from the ceiling down, this is what was covered up.
Above is the loft and the beams rest on bricks.
I put the wood in as a temp safety solution.
its only a few bits of 2x1 so probably not sufficient.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would imagine so as the beams from both ends of the loft end side by side directly where the bricks are, I don't think there is much load as it's been like it for years and hasn't sagged at all.
Thanks for everyone taking time to help

as woody says or a box beam its taking the ceiling joists plus the the purlin sag or you could put a timber beam though there i would remove the brickwork put lintel or beam up under ceiling

I just thought that on the basis that the bricks have been unsupported for many years with no problem, then it won't need much supporting.

as woody says or a box beam its taking the ceiling joists plus the the purlin sag or you could put a timber beam though there i would remove the brickwork put lintel or beam up under ceiling

That's what I'm thinking, a timber beam about 3" x3" remove the bricks and cement it in place
Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back