Lintel Internal Wall Garage - Wooden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have cut a hatch in internal garage wall

Have propped up the beams with acrows for the time being while I cut out the hatch.

As you can see the bricks above the lintel course stayed in place even after the lintel course removed.

Would I be ok to use a fence post as a lintel. The span is 1700 cm. And ive got 10 cm each side for lintel ends.

Only the beams and 18mm ply above.

Have uploaded 2 pics so you can see.

//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=21246

Cheers for any advice.

L

Sponsored Links
If the span of the garage roof is not too wide (say 3m or so) a 100x100 fence post would be fine on that span.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Cheers for this. I do have concrete lintel (in photo also :) but when i knocked the lintel course out and the bricks stayed in situ, I tried the concrete lintel in but as someone said it seemed awful heavy on a single skin of brick, and also the wooden one looked pretty good. It was my dad who sucked his teeth and said that a post would do fine. and the concrete was overkill. But although it does seem ok, I thought Id check with the good people here.

There's not much weight on the bricks in term of the beams and flat roof. And there is also another window on the external wall with a really flimsy wood lintel with practically no overhang and two bricks above it but admittedly a smaller span.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back