RSJ sat on wooden lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.

A while ago I posted about having an extension done, RSJ's installed etc. These were installed last year and we're finally getting to the point of knocking through.

One thing which has always bothered me, is that the builder that installed the RSJ (I-beam?) sat the padstone at one end on an existing wooden lintel for a small window that'd been bricked up. It's sat probably 50/50 brick/wood.

Now given this lintel was designed to support the wall above I probably shouldn't be worried, but it screams poor practice and accident waiting to happen.

Am I right to be concerned? Should I hire myself some acrows and take the lintel out, or just cut it off where it meets the outside of the padstone?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Presumably you had structural calculations done?

What did the engineer specify for the bearing, and has the building inspector seen it??

The calcs were done yes, this is where the problems began.

The engineer stipulated 1No. beam of x size, with a plate welded across the top (cavity wall). The builder installed 2No. beams of x size, as he 'couldn't get hold of one with a plate welded across it'. He later revealed that he could, but it would have been more awkward for him to install it. So he didn't.

By the time he'd finished I just wanted him out of my house.

Back on track, the calcs said that it should be sat on padstone on brick. I should note that it's not sat on the lintel over the window. I did assume he'd take the wooden lintel out and brick it up, but alas, he didn't.

As for BC, he was adamant that they didn't need to be involved. It was my intention to get them involved once the construction of the extension was complete (I realise this is wrong).

Sponsored Links
So what was the point in paying an engineer for his time and letting
the builder do as he pleases, On the information you have given I
don't think anyone can give an answer you could contact your engineer
and ask him to take a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back