packing rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi whats the best way to install a rsj
1 accrow the rsj with a good mortar mix on top up to the brickwork and set the padstoned as close as poss and pack with metal shims?
or
2 set the rsj on pads first and pack out above?
If 2 has to be an option whats the best method of packing the above the steel to brick work? I have read slate can you get this from a builders merchants?
cheers guys
Im attempting to install both steels from the outside leaving thewall in and acrowing from the inside with strongboys between every joist and acrowing the floorboards too. The steels will slide in from the outsite and the joist should sit on the rsj and pack underneath.
Its an external wall hence wanting leave it in as the steels need to be fitted before the extension is built. Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
I'd set the beam on padstones and pack above. Once the beam is in place the best method is to stress the beam with folding wedges. Fit wedges every 600mm or so, remove the supports and pack with mortar working from centre outwards. If you want to leave the supports in just in case just let off the ones nearer the centre. The mortar should be made from a 1:3 mix of cement and sharp sand and be just damp enough to form a ball when squeezed in your fist. If any free water is visible it's too wet. Ideal gap would be about 40mm or thereabouts.

Thanks for that. I see wedging the beam will let.it flex so when i fill the void it wont drop as its already deflected.
Good idea. i assume you leave the wedges in and cement the rest. what should the wedges be made off?
Thanks

Just timber folding wedges. Cut some nice big ones from 3x2. You can knock out every other set when you are packing. Knock the others out the following day and infill.

Sponsored Links
For my recent operation doing the same thing we cut a slot in the wall about 150mm higher than the RSJ, loaded the top with stiff mortar and then jacked the rsj up with several scissor jacks til good contact with the mortar was made, let the mortar set, and then jacked it a little more before the padstones went in. For the padstones we made a formwork and poured the padstones as wet concrete around the RSJ base, vibrated the air out of it and let it set.. Seemed a nice neat way to do things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back