Lintel Check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Starting to get ready to knock through into our new extension and just wanted to check the lintels will be sufficient,

IMG_20221115_170203.jpg

IMG_20221115_170226.jpg

As you can see in the first picture there is a large concrete lintel spanning the window, there's 3 of these across the entire rear of the original house and they've been there since 1971.

I plan to remove the window and brickwork below it shown in the second photo, I'm fairly sure the lintel is more than sufficient as that's all that's ever been there, the window doesn't support anything and the brickwork below is only supporting the window but I just wanted to check before I go too far

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Whilst it's not fully clear, it looks like the lintels span onto the intermediate masonry pier (lintel span around 1.8m). Removing the pier will significantly increase the span to nearly 4m and hence overstress it. Steel beam needed

Piers staying in place, literally just the window in second picture and the brickwork below it is coming out, everything to the sides is remaining in place.

Arhh, that makes sense, sorry thought the intermediate pier was coming out. In which case, the load to the lintel doesn't change so you can remove the window and the brickwork below it

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought just thought I'd check and make sure I hadn't overlooked anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back