lintel for 3 door opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, bit of advice needed please.

Intend to put in new doorway between two rooms on ground floor. Wall is single brick non load bearing, though continues up to ceiling of first floor. Span of doorway opening is 1918mm. What size and type of lintel should be used?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If it's non structural wall, you don't need one.
But are you sure this is true?
Just because there is no wall above, does not mean the wall underneath is not carrying floor load or tieing in other walls.
Suggest if you have not already done so, to get calcs done by structural engineers, better safe than sorry, they will also advise you on your lintel size.

ah-ha Static, I'm a bit sleepy this morning. :oops:
If no structural support is needed, a lintel size of at least 300mm longer than opeining, so it carrys over each side by at least 150mm.
So at least 2218mm in length and a section of 150mmx100mm, A rough cast(concrete) one would do the trick, but could use steel if you wished. Roughcast would allow you to plasterer render without any extra work, to surface. It would also cost less.

Sponsored Links
ah-ha Static, I'm a bit sleepy this morning. :oops:
If no structural support is needed, a lintel size of at least 300mm longer than opeining, so it carrys over each side by at least 150mm.
So at least 2218mm in length and a section of 150mmx100mm, A rough cast(concrete) one would do the trick, but could use steel if you wished. Roughcast would allow you to plasterer render without any extra work, to surface. It would also cost less.
Coffee first..

Agreed with this.. but make 110% sure that the wall is non-load bearing before you even start any major works..

Thanks for answers. Joists are running parallel to this particular wall. I've got to get up into loft to check the ceiling joists are also not being supported by this wall.
Cheers once again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back